My Guide for Breakups

We all know, breakups aren't pretty. Whether the relationship lasted a month or a year, breakups leave us feeling heartbroken. Getting over an ex is not easy; the more serious things were with your ex, the more you'll have trouble moving on. I personally take my breakups as a lesson learned, I follow 3 tips that I hope can help you cope with your breakup:

• Talk it out. Try to let yourself feel what you feel. If you're feeling like crying, then cry. Sometimes crying makes you feel better. Talk to someone close to you, don't let your feelings bottle up. But if you don't like talking to people about your feelings, try writing them on a journal. Writing your thoughts on a journal is good therapy for your heart.
  • Get Active. Exercise, but don't over do it! Going for a run can you help lower your stress and boost your mood. It's a healthy distraction, you can even try doing yoga.
  • Do things YOU LOVE. Treat yourself to something that makes you feel good, whether it's going to the movies with your friends or a massage. Self-care is essential and doing things that make you smile can help you heal.

Remember time heals all wounds, don't worry you'll find the right person at the right moment. Smile and don't let anyone bring you down!

My Guide for Breakups

77
cl_517 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Good myTake, there are certainly enough people on GaG who ask questions about breakups so all the great ideas are probably welcome by all of the broken-hearted.

Me? I make a GREAT ex. In fact, I made up a saying once years ago: "Guys should date me just so I can become their ex, because I am an excellent exgirlfriend."

I don't keep phoning or texting. I don't become friends with the new girlfriend. I don't drive by the house. I don't drop in to the workplace. I don't visit his parents' for a visit. I don't hit on his best friend. I just... DON'T do any of these things. I find the people going through the worst when they are heartbroken is to do any of these things and more just to keep some piece of the ex because they can't believe they are over, cold turkey.

The real way to get over someone and move forward is to quit looking back and hanging on to things that are a reminder. Look ahead. If you have anything in common like some friends you could lose, or hangouts that you both frequented - just stop. It's not a matter of, "Well, I went to this place before he/she did," or, "I was friends with them too." Just, no. In order to heal, you need to cut all these things out of your life, and maybe in time incorporate them back in. But initially after a breakup, cut the ties. All of them. It seems to be the only way. :)

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 6

What Girls Said 6

• This is awesome take because I use to go out with this guy and I really liked him and I thought he liked me too but I found out that he was cheating on me with these two other girls and we got revenge on him and he ended up being single, I was in 5th grade. I know I was too young but I really did like this guy a lot and he cheated on me :( but I'm trying to get over it and move on with my life and enjoy the single life. That's the only reason why I'm scared to let a guy come back into my life </3

• OMG I SUGGESTED YOU TO FOR your next MYTAKE ABOUT getting over a breakup. YOU LISTENED TO ME WOOHOO 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊 lol

• awesome take. .

• nice take girly

• Decided to read this for the future haha

• Ha I need to break up with my current boyfriend and we've only been dating for a little over 2 weeks