So, touchy touchy. As a guy I've had some rough sketches. And while this isn't exclusively for guys, I'd think it would benefits the ladies too. So some background on me and the relationship. This relationship lasted a year. And I was dumped, much to my chargin. I was very vested in this relationship and was completely shattered by its aftermath. Its been eight months now and here is how I coped.
1) It's ok to hold on to your feelings for some time. It's ok, you still love the person. But your relationship state has reached its end cycle. Day by day, tell yourself you need yourself more than your ex.
2) Accept its over. Acceptance is key. Its like tearing out the bandaid. Can be very painful. Its takes a great deal of mental fortitude and courage to do this. Go for a very long run. Release the stress. And say I'm ready to move on.
3) While its pretty obvious, avoid contact with ex. I cannot say how important this is. There are exceptions to this of course. But the thumb rule is no contact with the ex. It will allow you to take your mind off them.
4) Sad music is ok, break up songs and what not. But don't indulge in them. Warmer, vibrant songs really help. I've found instrumental music a great way to cope with loneliness. Music is liberating. Do not ignore what you hear. Relate with it.
5) Five stages of grief. Denial. Anger. Bargaining. Depression. Acceptance. You're not alone. Everyone goes through at least once in life. So cheer up, pat yourself on the back for stumbling and keep moving.
6) Love yourself. Cherish yourself, there is nothing more important to you than your own values. You determine your own self worth. Your own happiness. If you're not happy, chances are you'll probably never make anyone else happy either. This is the ultimate step. I started writing as a reflection to the state of how I am, and there's nothing else I'd rather do write now.