How My Very Emotional Breakup Taught Me Valuable Life Lessons

My Breakup and the lessons I learned from it.

I just ended things with my boyfriend who I was dating for a year. Even though our relationship did not last very long, he was still my first love. It was, and still is, so hard because the reason for our break up was distance. We barely got to see each other, maybe once every two weeks if we were lucky, and it was difficult to communicate and show our love for each over the phone. But when we actually met up and went on dates, everything was perfect and we were perfect.

Next September, I'm moving to a different city while he is moving to a different country, and over the summer we are both going abroad to different countries to study, volunteer, and travel. Thus, the only time we had to end things was now. Our last date was the most bittersweet thing I had ever experienced. It was our first time seeing each other in three weeks, and I had missed him so much. But while I was waiting for him in front of the building we usually meet at, I realized this would be the last time I would ever wait for him.

I saw him walking towards me, and when he smiled at me his lips curved up,but his eyes seemed sad. When I went in for the hug, his grip on me was so tight as if he was aware that this was the last time we'd be able to share that "I missed you" hug. The date was perfect, we talked, we laughed, we joked around, and we acted as if we weren't going to end in a few hours. I tried to be my usual self and show him how much he meant to me and how much I loved him. We went to the restaurant where we ate during our first date, we went to the park where he first saw me cry, and we walked down the street we had walked down on every single one of our dates. At the end of our date, I walked him to the bus terminal.

I had promised him that I wouldn't cry because that would make it harder for him. We shared a silent hug, and when I let go, he looked into my eyes to make sure I wasn't crying. I put on a smile for him and gently pushed him to go, and I watched him as he walked towards the bus. After he was gone, I took a deep breath and walked around some more to clear my head and let the fact that he was no longer mine sink in. That's when I got a text from him saying "I love you.... I'm sorry I couldn't say it to your face I just didn't know how to bring it up.... but know that I love you". All the tears I had been holding back just flowed down my face, and it truly felt as if my world had ended and my heart had been permanently broken.

It's only been three days. and it still feels like my world is ending. We promised to stay good friends and talk to each other and meet up whenever we could. But the point of this mytake is not for me to tell you guys about how I broke up with my boyfriend. I want people to learn something from my story. Because during the relationship, I took him for granted. I complained about how he was always busy and we couldn't meet up as often as other couples. I complained how he was less affectionate than my friends' boyfriends because he didn't post pictures with cheesy captions on instagram. I complained that he was lazy and never planned our dates. I complained that I was the only one putting effort into the relationship.

But now, I hate myself for complaining about waiting two weeks to see him, because now I don't know when I will be able to see him again. I hate myself for comparing him to other guys because he just had his own way of dating and still showed me the same amount of love but in a different way. I hate myself for calling him lazy, because after talking to his best friend, I found out that the things my boyfriend had done for me were really him putting himself out of his way. This was both our first relationship, which is why it might be so hard because we both don't know how to cope with it.

But what I learned and realized, and what I hope you learned and realized as well, is to never ever take your love for granted. One day, you're going to miss the things they did to annoy you, their habits, your little inside jokes, and the routines you shared together. I pass down the street we always walked on, and the building we always met at everyday on my way to school. And it kills me, but the one thing I'm proud of myself for doing is that no matter how many times I complained about our relationship, I would still always show him my love for him and make sure he felt it. That is the one regret I don't have and the one thing that is keeping me going, or else I'd be dead from regret. So please, let your significant other know how much they mean to you and how much you love them every single day.

30
Sponsored

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 0

Share the first opinion in your gender

What Girls Said 3

• This is something I've struggled with a lot lately, because I recently decided that I need to end my 2 year long relationship with my boyfriend. Sometimes I want to change my mind, because his love for me is so powerful and unconditional and I'm not sure I'll ever find that again. But there's no changing the fact that he's just not the one. His opinions and behavior are not something I want my future children to model. He may change at some point, yes, but I can't be waiting around for that.

This may be the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I just have to trust that everything will turn out okay.

Thanks for your take :)

• Wow it must be so hard for you guys especially because it was a decision that was made by choice. I completely agree with you about someone not being "the one". I loced my boyfriend and he loved me but I think we both knew that we weren't "the one" for each other since we are so young and have a whole future ahead of us. If we are meant to be I guess in the future we will come back to each other. Thanks for your opinion, it helps a lot that I'm not the only one goong through a heart break. You'll find your one eventually. 😊

• @Jasmine17 Yeah it's really hard. I have left him and it's been really difficult, but I just keep reminding myself that it's for the best. Good luck in your situation.

• Yes I can only imagine, ugh I hate break ups. It's part of life though & thanks you I hope you are doing much better now!

• This is exactly how I feel. Its been 3 days since my boyfriend of almost 2 years and I broke up. He is definitely the love of my life. We were long distance since we graduated college and there isn't a second that goes by that I don't miss him. I took him for granted as well. It is truly the hardest thing being without someone you love so much. I would do it all over again and I don't regret one minute we spent together.

He told me he would come back to me after finding himself and while I don't want to hold on to false hope, I pray he does. Our bond was unlike any other.

• My boyfriend and I of five years broke up recently against my will and he hasn't spoken to me at all. I feel so alone and lost and I just don't know what to do with myself at the moment. This is so true. 😢😥😔 xx