How To Move On From Someone You Once Loved

How to Move on from Someone You Loved

Sometimes, I have a trouble moving on from past relationships. I don’t exactly know why, but I do know that moving on is inevitable if I want a healthy, happy, and fulfilling life. The following are four tips on moving on from a past relationship that meant a lot to you. Just like building a relationship is a process, moving on from someone is a process as well. When reading these tips, don’t discount the one most important tip: Time. You may not be able to see it now, but time always works in your favor.

1. Acknowledge that the person meant something to you.

A lot of the time, we feel that since the person hurt us, they are not worthy of our time, thoughts, or attention anymore. They become horrible people to us and we hate them. Though this is a completely healthy and normal reaction at first, it’s not in the long run. You loved each other once upon a time. Help yourself out by acknowledging this.

2. Don’t try and get them back.

It takes two to create love as a couple, and when one person leaves you, they are also taking that love away from you. By understanding that your actual soul mate will never hurt you like this person did, you will then know whoever this person is, they are not your soul mate. And you shouldn’t settle.

3. Let it out.

You need an outlet to vent. Internalizing your feelings is definitely not the answer. Cry, take a boxing class, run, dance, do some cardio and weight training at the gym, do some yoga or go hiking. When you reach the top of the mountain, scream at the top of your lungs! You will feel so much better about your life because you will look and feel your best.

4. Talk it out.

If it’s eating you up inside, talk about it. If there is no one to talk to, write it down. It helps to verbalize or write down what you are feeling.

If anyone has any more to add, please feel free to comment. It will get better in time! I promise. :)

107

Most Helpful Guy

• What has helped me, was to take them off Facebook, change their name in my phone (if I even keep their number). Not doing this in anger, but I think it helps psychologically.

I think #2 is the most important. Realize if they were for you, they wouldn't have left.

Most Helpful Girl

• I also find getting used to being on your own is a good idea. I know it may sound silly but sometimes hanging with mates can just numb the hurt rather then remove it. One of the things I found difficult was the silence that a ended relationship offers. The phone doesn't ring, no one seems to be around to go out etc, so learning to cope with that silence by yourself for a while, and doing things by yourself, like shop can get you back to 'normality'

Sponsored

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 6

• I don't know about number 2. I think if you completely have moved on, you can eventually one day fall in love with that person again. I don't mean like an abusive partner dumb you and cheat on you and you keep coming back to that one person (that just means you have a serious problem). But what if you both were young? and you needed time a part to learn to love? I agree with the other points though, accept it just tell them your thoughts and leave it at that.

• Time never heal a wond...it just ease the pain!

• this is very insightful. I think people know these steps subconsciously but when it's written out it seems to make more sense. 2 and 3 are very important. Good job!

• What if you can't let go.. What if you want to be with that person again? What if you can show them you've changed. But what if that person is already talking to someone else :(

• i always talk to my mom when I'm depressed.

• Thank you so much for taking the time to write this!

What Girls Said 9

• I think the first tip was a good message, though a few things I disagree slightly on. Simple and sweet article. :)

• This is good. I feel a lot better. All I could think about were good times, ugh the pain...but this certainly helped.

• Thanks this helped, I just got dumped yesturday. 2 and half years. I like the second point the most I think it will help me. :)

• I feel a little more relieved now. Even though I tend to always want to dial/ text anonymously. I've vented, cried, had negative thoughts. But I see I have to be the bigger and forgive and forget. Thanks!

• i love it..especially the 1st tip because I thot by hating the guy I'l eventually get over him but I can't and instead I think about him even more but I don't want to because I want to move on with my life and I feel stuck ryt now

• so it can get easy if you follow the steps even if you been deeply hurt and can't get over the person you love.

• What if he was your the one, and you left him. Then you realized you trashed one of the best and you'll never get it back no matter how much you want to...

• thanks reading this article made me feel a hundred times better about moving on

• True.