Do you think it's bad to cry after experiencing a break up?

I've just experienced my first real break up, a week ago. My parents are constantly complaining that I shouldn't be upset, emotional and that I need to be strong.. neither one of them has experienced a breakup having just been in the one relationship with each other. My mum is screaming at me that she is tired of it seeing me upset... but I told her that I cannot just pretend it didn't happen and keep my emotions inside it's not healthy... of course we are supposed to feel emotional.

1612

Most Helpful Guy

• Pretty embarrassing but I cried myself to sleep for months after a heartbreak. I turned into a whimpering little animal.

I think your parents lack sensitivity here, but probably they just want to see you happier and healthier.

The only thing to me is that if you just start moping about the house all depressed, it doesn't help your healing process. You have to kind of fall in love with something else. Time doesn't repair this stuff directly so much as filling your heart with something new to love, and that something new doesn't have to be someone. All you have to do is have a reason to be excited about a day other than obsessing about your ex.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's not bad to cry. Something significant happened to you that will leave a mark on your life. You should give yourself the chance to grieve like you would any other loss.
    However, allowing yourself to dwell on that is not helpful. Allow yourself a grief period, but then you reach a point when the grief is no longer helpful to the healing process. When that point comes, you have to decide to be happy, even if you aren't, and let yourself be ok again. It's like when you lose a loved one. Don't feel guilty for being happy. And that may be what your parents are noticing.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 11

• Cry, scream into your pillow, be sad, upset, feel all of those emotions and don't hold back, but set a time limit. Maybe a day, maybe a week. Then after you've had your time to be an emotional wreck for a few days, pick yourself back up, get back up on your feet, and start writing the next chapter of your life.
    It's quite reasonable and normal to feel those emotions after a relationship that meant a lot to you ends, and your parents shouldn't try and make you feel bad or dismiss the significance of this part of your life. But wallowing in sadness and grief won't do you any good, and at some point you do need to tell yourself "That totally blows, it really hurt, but fuck it, life goes on and I choose to be happy and look forward to new opportunities and many more good times ahead!"

• Crying won't solve anything. My dear it is a tough world, like your parents said you have to be strong emotionally. The mistake people make is that they go into relationship whole heatedly. The best approach to any relationship should be "well let me give it a try, if things work out fine, but if it does not work all fine, but I will give me best". B strong there are a lot better and beautiful people waiting for you.

• Lol bad to cry. It would be bad to not cry cuz then it would much harder to get over the breakup. Crying naturally releases stress and anxiety so it will allow you to get over the breakup much quicker. Also keep in mind that you don't always have to try so hard to be strong. It is okay to be vulnerable at times.

• Ask them how you can make yourself stop experiencing feelings.

• You're mom's a bitch. By all means cry it all out.

• It's a timing thing. You don't want to constantly be doing it. But when you are alone, if you need to, it's ok to.

• Naw, I should've actually cried instead of held it all in and imploded every now and then.

• Your parents sound like jerks.

I cried for weeks after my breakup.

Let it out!

• sure! hold it in and become bitter! ...

• move out.

• Find me a girl who does not cry over the most basic things.

What Girls Said 15

• sometimes, being strong means having the courage to be open and vulnerable with others.

when my first "real" breakup happened, i was young and living in a new city many hours away from any family or familiar things. people kept asking me, "why did you let this guy control your emotions" and, every time they did, i wanted to scream at them.

"what the fuck is wrong with you people?" i wanted to yell. "i'm dying inside, and that's the best you can come back with?"

instead, i kept it to myself; i became severely depressed and dropped out of college~ i binge-drank, stayed up all night, and worked myself almost to death, putting in hours of overtime just to feel like i had a purpose.

as you can see, it's not healthy or normal. grief doesn't have a timeline, so let it hurt and cry it out for as long as you need to. the loss of love is a wound that only time and tears can heal.

• You can be a strong person, but if you have to let it out, let it out! It's steps to healing and it'll be okay. I do think though everyone heals in different times however it's hard for parents to see their daughter always upset over one person, you can't let it control your life.

• You should never keep you emotions locked inside. Tears are like the safety value of the heart when there's too much pressure on... they can help release the pain inside. Tears also express how you feel when you can't find the words to say , so it's natural & healthy to cry.

Strength is only healed pain, so how can you be strong when you are still heartbroken. You need to heal before you can be strong. So don't feel guilty for crying & don't pretend you are not hurting xx

• Gosh. It's actually healthy to let it all out. It's much worse to keep it all in and let your emotions and feels build up.

• No - suppressing your feelings would be unhealthy. Being sad after a break up is completely normal.

• No its normal to cry, your parents reaction is a bit unusual. I find my parents were always in their own world and out of touch with things. If you need to cry I think you should cry, don't feel bad about it

• Completely normal, everyone does it. Its good for you too, let the tears out, you'll feel better

• i think it's a part of the healing process

• It's completely okay to cry after a break up. You will get over it with time.

• Noo you need to cry to let it out!!
    😄😋💜

• You'd be crazy not to cry.

• It's not bad to cry after a breakup at all but don't grief over the break up for a long time. I guess it wasn't meant to be so just get out there and choose who you date wisely :)

• Ignore your parents. If you want to cry, then cry. It's okay to cry after a breakup.

• crying actually is a stress reliaver... cry!!!

• No. If you are feeling the urge to cry - cry it out. Suppressing your feelings can have negative side effects, I know from experience.