Best way to break up with my gf?

I've been thinking about leaving her for awhile now. It's just one of those relationships that happens because you guys both just need *somebody*. I've met a few girls that I'm actually interested in, but I haven't pursued them out of respect for my current relationship. Now there's one that I really like and she's really into me and I want to see where it goes.
I feel trapped by this and I don't want to sneak around, but I don't want to tell her I'm leaving her for someone else either because I'm not sure how emotionally invested in the relationship she is and I'm not trying to hurt her.

How should I go about this so that I can get out of the relationship while hurting her the least?

97

Most Helpful Girl

• No choice. Be real. Tell her its over. She's gonna get hurt anyway, so just do it nicely. Talk about the good times y'all had & that you're not really *there* anymore. You'll only resent her later if you don't do it now. Hope this helps 😄😋💜

• I'm not on the fence about whether or not I'm going to break up with her I'm just looking for something better to say than "I'm leaving you for someone else"

• I need time for myself

Sponsored

What Girls Said 8

• Buy her a Chanel bag.
    Fill it with cash.
    Say goodbye.
    And never speak to her again.

Whatever you say it's going to hurt her and possibly shock her. There is no simple and easy way to say I don't love you anymore and I want out.

The best way is to be kind about it but also to the point so she realises there is no opportunity of the relationship coming alive again. Tell her how you feel about everything, deal with the anger, shock, denial, tears and then leave it alone.

• Give it to her straight and hide nothing from her when you talk. It's harsh but would you prefer she cried a few times instead of her always wondering what she did wrong that you left her? The one who is on the receiving end of a break up will blame themselves and may eventually convince themselves that it WAS their fault.

Straight and true. Leave no stone unturned.

• I agree with the people on here that are saying make it a clean and clear break, but i dont think your goal is to break her heart, and thats great!

In my personal opinion, you need to remind her of the good tme that you did have. Dont trash her or anything, make her feel special and dont forget to add a t of kindness to your voice. Dont pull the "theres always someone better" care, because aybe for her there isn't. Take her heart, and and place it in th safest place possibel. She was yours once, leave her intact for someone else to come along an love

• Just tell her straight and as soon as you can, make it a clean break, and don't give her any hope that you will get back together. Don't tell her you like someone else though, just say it's not working and you aren't happy

• Tell her it's over. No matter what it's going to hurt. I hope you are sure about you both just needing to be with somebody

• ASAP, in person, and say what you told us, honesty

• There is no easy way to be on either side of a breakup. Just be polite, but firm and don't let it linger on. No going back if the new girl turns you down! Too many people let things linger out of fear of being alone.

• Dude, just tell her the truth. The break up is going to hurt regardless. It's best to let it all out in the open so there's no room for doubt or confusion.

• I agree that honestly is important, but there's gotta be something better than "I'm leaving you for someone else".
      I mean that'd be pretty harsh.
      Not that I have any better ideas...

• I'm not worried about me facing it I just don't want her to be all mopey and depressed... I mean it's not a serious relationship, but it's the only one she's had in awhile.

• She's going to be regardless. Best to be up front and honest.

What Guys Said 7

• Get down in one knee, grab both her hands (so she doesn't slap you once you say those words), and tell her you want to break up with her.

Seriously, there's no best way to break up with someone you spent a few months or years with. The time she invested with you will bring those emotions no matter how you do it. Just tell her; hopefully, she won't turn psycho on you and will be civil about it.

I would lay low for a week or two before you go public with the other girl just in case you bump into your soon-to-be ex, if she isn't the mature type and starts calling out your new chic in public. Those girls do exists.

• That sounds even worse.. Get down on one knee and grab her hands... What so she feels like he is proposing, so happy in that split second then... BAM.. your out of here. I really feel bad for this chick lol

• @2Good4bs It's a horrible idea... lol... I have seen a similar post a few days back where this guy planned to take his girlfriend to a fine restaurant to break up with her. That's also a horrible idea because she had no idea and was looking forward to spending time with you.

Best advice anyone can give to someone who is planning on breaking up with their current partner, is by telling them you want to breakup. Sweet and simple. No matter how gently you play with your words in easing the breakup will have no effect to a broken heart. It will still hurt, especially if the partner thought things are going well or if that other person still loves you.

Let's just say this guy tells his current woman this, "Jane, I think you're an amazing woman and I loved every minute spending countless hours together, but I am no longer in love with you and it's best if we just left in good terms. I'm sure you'll find a great guy that would treat you way better than me."

This woman will still be crying.

• There's so many different types of breakup lines I've heard from my buds and female friends when they run to me with their "Baggz, he/she broke up with me *sad face*" issues. Some are funny af (granted at the time it wasn't); others were just downright fucked up or rude. Either way, both genders pretty much react the same way. For the one's "in love", the guys tend to mope around their house/apartment and look like total turds. Women cry.
      All I can do is "Bro, here's a beer." or "Let's go to the strip/bar." I tend to treat women a little more delicately. Eventually, they manage to get out of that slump and saddle up to ride the same old rodeo.

And I got those other friends that just "brush" that shit right off like they don't give a shit and dive back in lol

• You almost have it, there. Except for the part where you want the world to be perfect and TRY and NOT make her get hurt. That's wishful thinking. You need to tell her point blank what's up.

Don't commit too heavily before you are sure or know what you're doing. Right now you don't even know what you want.

• Not enough information. If you are saying you got into the relationship with you *both* knowing it wasn't a perfect fit, or there has been a lot of friction or distance in the relationship, then it makes sense for *both* of you to break up whether you are going date someone else or not, so you'll both have a chance to start over.

If your girlfriend is invested in you at this point, it's going to hurt anyway, so make it hurt like a band-aid coming off (but not cruel). It will be easier for her to move on in that case. She's likely to hurt for a while no matter what, but at least you can make it hurt for less time.

• Ok just tell her away from every body else like at the park when its closed tell her that it not working out anymore

But why are you breaking up with her she will be in her room crying over you because you left her is that nice

• Piss her off so she breaks up with you.

• get her to walk in on you fucking some other girl