Would you rather be dumped in person or by text?

I keep seeing people advise to break up in person because it's considered respectful but I disagree. I'd rather be dealt a blow where I can cry and freak out privately because in person I turn into a shell shocked mute and it's just so awkward. Like you get together, they dump you, they leave.

• In person
    80%(57)80%(106)Vote79%(49)
  • By text
    20%(14)20%(27)Vote21%(13)

Most Helpful Guy

• Life is awkward sometimes. It's just polite to do it in person. You'll never find a way to break up where its fun and everyone goes home happy but at least you know for those 5 minutes you're the only thing on his mind... I mean com'on, with smartphones nowadays if I were allowed to breakup by text I could break up with 30 women in under a minute (and probably make plans with 30 other girls in under 5 minutes) so I'm pretty sure you're all thinking I have no heart and don't see these women as people. (which is my point against texting 'we're breaking up')

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely in person. Whattt?

I'd wear one of my best dresses, and I'd do up my face seductive af. I'd get right up in the boy's face, grab the back of his neck with my hand, stare right into his eyes, get my lips within about 1 inch of his, and give it to him:
    "Go ahead, tell me. Tell me it's over. NOW."

If he could actually tell me "it's over" with me right up in his face like that, then, I'd respect it. I'd turn around, walk right out of his life, and he'd know right away just how big a mistake he'd made.

But... yeah, I don't think he'd be able to do it. I think things would be very much... not over, at that point.

__

In fact, ironically, this is a very, very hot role play -- *IF* you are in a relationship that ISN'T in danger of breaking up.
    This whole role play where he's like "I'm leaving you", and our relationship is hanging on by a thread, and I take all that passion, and all that desperation, and fuck him right back into my life.
    <3
    Try it, you'll like it.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 14

• In person, on a phone call... via text.. dumped is dumped... it still stings...
    by the way if you have been dumped in person before... the "walking away" part is like insult to injury... just hurts more.

• ya srsly, I hear you on the walking away. I feel like if anyone here will understand what I wrote here, it's you. lol

• Ahh well, thank you. I get the sense that you don't hand out those kinds of compliments easily. Nor often.

Yea, I haven't had the, uh, "pleasure" of being dumped.

Rejected, yeah, sure.
      Most often just because I'm kind of overwhelming in general -- personality-wise, sexually, physically -- and a lot of guys just talk themselves into being intimidated by that. Really, *I* don't intimidate guys -- I swear, they intimidate themselves, with this weird image of me that they create in their own heads.
      A couple of guys just couldn't handle my height, lol. Double lol because they were both taller than the man I married.
      And ofc I had a pretty well-deserved reputation for getting around -- I mean, I was pretty sexually fearless, and didn't apologize for it -- and there were more than a few guys who just didn't think they could "compete" with that. As though it were even a competition.

• @redeyemindtricks why am i not surprised... i can see you being intimidating to guys.

• I would want my partner to face me when they tell me the reasons. I would want to ask questions, I might want clarifications on things. I might want advice on the problems to which I contributed.

• Man up and dump me to my face, is what I say.

• I'd always prefer in person but depending on the circumstances you find yourself in that may not always be an option.

• I don't care either way, as long as its done before you're obviously cheating on me.

• By text is cold and hard way to get dumped. Plus you never really get the real answer.

• Been dumped in text, i mean it was a shit move. But i mean it avoided feels so i didn't feel so bad about it.

• Doesn't really matter. My ex broke up with me in every way possible - text, phone, voicemail... you name it. Didn't really make much of a difference what form of media she used.

• i'd rather get dumped by text.

• I don't think it would matter to me

• Don't be a coward, if you're going to dump me then to do it to my face.

• I wanna hear it and see it from her face too.

• I don't care either way. I'd just move on with my life.

• Phone call at least if not in person

What Girls Said 17

• Dump me by text and I'll kill you

I mean, you can't break up with me by text, I think I wouldn't date someone that coward to begin with.

• I don't care. Either one. I'm not going to be picky with such things. Being with someone who is not genuine about the way they feel about me when I feel strongly for them is something I would be more concerned about

• I rather be married.

• Agreed. As messed up as it may sound, I'm getting tired of all of this dating stuff - not the emotional and physical connection, but the "awkward stage," games, etc.

• in person. it'd hurt less. obviously if online is the only option then u have no control.

• in person. they should have to feel awkward and guilty as hell as they do it :)

though really... i'd want by text because then i can be all sad and mopey in private. but... they really should have the balls do break up in person.

• In person. It might be hard, but I'd rather they say it to my face.

• In person. At least tell it in my face, no matter how much I preffer texting than anything. >.>
    I remember how one of my classmates was dumped via text during our Maths class. I found (and still find) that disrespectful af.

• Id say in person. Although in text seems like a good way to then break down but knowing me if someone even broke up in person I'd be like "cool" and then I'd move on. I'm not one to break down or cry or worry too much. It's their lose 😂

• I don't care for either (because being dumped sucks). But all I demand is reasons. Why are you breaking up with me? What led you to this decision? And none of that cliche crap. Other than that I don't mind if it's in person or over text.

• Always in person for me. I would think he was a coward if he did it through text.

• Neither

• in person. I want to know the reason.

• How many people do you think are (1) actually aware of the REAL reasons, *AND* (2) ballsy enough to actually articulate them?

eehhhhh

This is overrated. I think you'd just get way too much of that "it's not you, it's me" kind of crap from way too many people. Self-awareness is not something that loads of people have tons of. Nor is bluntness, or emotional honesty.

• Idc really

• Text def. not in person.

• in person so I can see the look in their eyes as they said it this would give me closure

• In person.

• In person. If you are going to dump me at least have the ball to do it in person haha