If in a relationship your SO calls you a derogatory term would you break up with them?

• A. I would break up with them
  • B. I would not break up with them
  • c. other
    Vote C
  • d. What's a derogatory term?
    Vote D

78

Most Helpful Girl

• I might not leave him... but he would not know what hit him with the reaction he'd get. He'd be floored by the wrath of Alex. He wouldn't even know how to react because I'd alarm him so bad.

You do not use derogatory names in my relationship. It does not bode well.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on how it was said, what was said, and how much it was said.

• Thanks for MH.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 6

• I probably wouldn't break up with him, depending on the context.

We swear at it each other a lot, we play fight a light, that happens with us. It's not uncommon for me to ask him something like 'wanna go, bitch?'. It'd hardly be fair for me to break up with him when I do the same thing and we generally regard it as something that's going to lead to a game.

Similarly, if he did it seriously but only once or twice and sincerely apologised for it, then I wouldn't break up with him. Again, I've called him a prick and a tosser, just off the top of my head, in our real fights. I can't criticise him for it if the emotions get too much for him and he lashes out like that as long as he apologises and it doesn't happen very often.

If it happened all the time and he never apologised though, I would start to think that he didn't really respect me and then I would consider breaking up with him.

• It depends on the term and how they used it. I likely wouldn't break up with them right off the bat, but it would definitely be an issue to deal with.

• d. What's a derogatory term?

• I would talk to them about why that's not okay but if it continued then I would.

• Depends on what was said. I feel like things said in the heat of the moment are things that one has always wanted to say, so it would definitely make me think.

• It depends on the term. We play fight or argue a lot and I usually call him an asshole and he'll sometimes do the same thing but if it ever happened and he was serious we would definitely have a conversation about it.

What Guys Said 7

• I would have a conversation with them about it first. It could be the slip of the tongue or they thought it was funny... who knows... but i would look into it. Be an adult about it. But if that is how they really felt, then its time to break up.

• No, I like to work things out. It takes a lot for me to get into a relationship. Likewise, getting out doesn't just happen on impulse.

• It's part and parcel to get called names especially in a relationship and an argument. Not worth worrying about. You'll know in your guts if she's went too far. You'll want to smash her face in every time she opens her mouth. Cunts that get super offended by every little thing are dicks. They think they're the exception no-one should talk down to. People like that get my back up.

• Depends on whether she's joking or not, because my brother and I say derogatory things to each other all the time.

• this is a very minor problem. just a little communication and the problem is solved. i won´t leave a partner over such trivial stuff.

• Depends on what the derogatory term was said...

• If that's all it takes then your relationship wasn't so good anyway.