Could obsessive video gaming ruin a marriage?

My husband is obsessed with his PS4. It is driving me crazy. He sleeps every other night. He stays on that game for about 18 hours at a time. I work he does not. He used to help me around the house by cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids. Now I am not getting any of that. He left me before when he worked and I didn't because the house wasn't to his standards. We had a 1 child at the time. If any of her toys were laying around omg it was the end of the world. If I didn't do the dishes right after dinner. Its not like our house was a total disaster. He didn't even help with anything. But now the roles have switched. He still dont do anything. We now have 3 children and he does nothing. I work a full time job 3rd shift. But im still requried to do all the house work. Yet he is free to do nothing but play games and go out with his friends. Got 2 nights to ourselves a couple weeks ago and he spent it all on the damn game. I feel like I am just ready to end this marriage. I know nothing will change and it will all go back on being all my fault.

Most Helpful Guy

• Im all for gaming, but in a Marriage and with kids and not working?
    i believe in pulling your weight. if he ain't working, he should designate some time to take care of things around the house since he isn't working anymore.
    I believe in marriage... so i wouldn't say go to the extreme just yet...
    just have a talk with him (not yell it) talk to him and explain to hm how it would be nice if he did some stuff... and possibly paid attention to you from time to time. then give it time to sink in.
    if things don't change.. then on to phase two.

Most Helpful Girl

• It could ruin any kind of relationship if they go overboard.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 13

• That is not only ruining a marriage , that is ruining his life.
    He needs therapy.

• And people give me a hard time for "living at the gym" 12 hours a week at the gym lol

• Yes. Not only excessive video gaming, every kind of excessive thing can ruin a marriage. He's addicted, he needs help, but first she should recognize this addiction and decide to change.

• Sheesh... I can hardly sit down to play a game for 18 minutes as of late, before I get bored! Haha.

Yeah you've gotta figure something out there... something's gotta change.

• gotta play with the right people or the right games mate.

• @Tdieseler Nah it's not really like COD at all, it's just that the new shoulder bash move and crappy spawn system make me want to chuck my Xbox out the window lol.

• i stopped after Black Ops II... couldn't stand it anymore... the gun sounds were the same... the explosions sound like someone is clapping... nothing at all.. remember mw2 and mw3 when you could tell if someone was using an M4A1 or a SCAR just from the sound? or if someone had shot a.50 cal sniper or L118A at you from like a mile away, just from the sound? and explosions actually had a "boom" to them... im done with the COD franchise till i can buy it on the x-one marketplace again.

• obsessive anything could ruin a relationship

• stop paying for the wifi. done

• He needs to get off his ass and get a job. He's pathetic.

• woah not in marriage he can play but not that much

• call him a console peasant daily and tell him his framerates are shit

• Marriage is ruining obsessive video gaming...

• Being obsessive about anything can ruin a marriage. There are work alcoholics that bust their ass working to provide for their family that ruin their marriage because of their obsession.

Don't treat him like a child and change is passwords or any other nonsense that was suggested. That will only breed more resentment, and cause him to dig his heels in more and create more problems. The moment you treat him like a child the moment he will stop listening to you.

He clearly lacks the self discipline to keep himself busy at home, so he has to get a job to start pulling his own weight. It may even be possible that he is depressed by staying home all the time, or has no pride in himself as a man, and he is using video games to escape the pain of his emotions. If he doesn't get a job, then you are going to have to leave him eventually. You can't do it all on your own.

I really do think him getting a job will go a long way to helping ease this problem, although that alone may not cure it. I would say after he starts work set aside one night a week for family night were you don't watch TV, or anything and just spend some time together. You can play board games, go to the zoo, take cooking classes together, start a garden, whatever. It may not have to be for the whole day, but at least several hours that day. Hopefully that will start to create an environment you can live with so you don't feel neglected.

• I suppose smashing the PS4 is put of the question, right? I'd come home after a week of that, and get out the baseball bat, or a hammer and then beat the living hell out of the game and the machine. Since he's so in love with it, HE can FINALLY do something useful and clean up the mess too!

Of course, he's going to scream and complain during that process, so you have to do that while he's in the shower. At some point he HAS to take a break. Once it's broken, AND you have his attention, then you may make your point about how he treated you when he worked and his behavior now.

That's the time to give him the ultimatum - either he chooses the games or you. Tell him he needs to make up his mind within an hour. Be prepared for him to say it's the games and then please be prepared to kick his lazy ass out and go through with a divorce. If he chooses you, then hold his feet to the fire and don't let up on him.

• Ok smash his ps4 with a bat well he's playing he has a very bad video game addiction and you need to stop it right now

What Girls Said 5

• If he wants to act like a child, treat him like one. Change the wifi password every morning, and don't give it to him until he has done his chores and spent some quality time with the family.

• Yes it can. Actually anything obsessive can ruin a marriage.

• You need to divorce him. He doesn't see you as his wife, you are his mother. You take care of him and he gets what he wants. My ex husband and i where in the same situation. I was the only one working and he wouldn't even help with anything exspecially with our daughter. He's my ex husband so you get the idea

• Divorce that fucker. If you go to work , clean, and care for the kids, what do you need him for?

• not if the both like video games