Is it normal to feel numb or empty after a break up?

I really had a lot of feelings for this guy but after the break up all is left is emptiness. Is it normal to feel this way? How can I stop feeling so restless?

Most Helpful Guy

• yes its normal. relationships are bonding. the more intimate they are, the more various chemicals in your brain release. Tearing appart is painful and to stop the pain, you go numb. Or you go numb because the relationship was painful in the first place. this is why it makes sense to go slowly with relationships... it is painful when it doesn't work. Takes time to heal.

Restless - that is something else... anxiety. ideally, you should see a professional counselor to work through your feelings, what you learned about yourself, what issues turned up, so you do better next time.

Focus on the following: that by him not being there, it creates space for someone else. Don't jump to the next relationship, take time to process this one emotionally. that is only fair to the next person. Don't get all needy and try to fill the void if you are numb, it won't work.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yea, it happens :( I'm sorry you had to go through that, break ups always suck. It's very normal to feel that way, and really only time can truly make it fade. I think in the meantime you can try to distract your mind by doing other things. Make an effort to go out with friends more, listen to music, find a hobby, and most importantly don't dwell too much on it.

What Guys Said 11

• Yes it's normal. It's the minds way of trying to understand it all and dealing with the loss. Not everyone experiences the same things during a break up.

• Yes, that is fairly normal.
    You may find it useful to understand the process through which you are going.
    It is actually the symptoms of drug withdrawal. Once you understand the love is a delusional state of mind that is created by brain chemistry, you may be able to keep things in a perspective that will cause you to experience less pain.
    See:
    asdn.net/asdn/chemistry/chemistry_of_love.php
    and:
    www.youramazingbrain.org/lovesex/sciencelove.htm
    and:
    www.webmd.com/.../the-science-behind-romance

• Yes it is girl. Time will heal you

• yes its totally normal to feel like this after a breakup. but as they say time heals almost everything, so dont worry just hang on.

• It's normal. I'm surprised you brought up the numb part of it. When I was broken up with, my chest would feel numb sometimes. I thought I was the only one. It's rough. I wouldn't wish those feelings on my worse enemy.

• Hmm, time young one.
    You need something to get stuck into, knitting helped me. Perhaps something that will further you in life. Exercising or school, work, cooking, TRAVEL (biggie, helps most) the thing is simply sitting in the same place after a breakup plays havoc on you, you may not feel it now but you will in a few months.

• Yes, I suppose it's normal.

• It is time that will heal everything.
    only by allowing it to do its job you respect life, and life respects you.
    There is no use to fly into another relationship when you feel numb, as this won't be fair to him/her.
    take this time to process and grief because you need to.
    Once you feel alive again (this varies from person to person) you can slowly start to connect again.

• It's normal, especially if you've invested a ton of time into the relationship. I can't say that I have ever felt that way after a break-up, but I know plenty of people who did.
    Father time will heal you, if you let him.

• That's pretty common, yeah.

• Yes it's part of the pain of a break up. The only way to stop is release that pinned up frustration. Crying helps and so does talking to friends.

What Girls Said 19

• I had (still have this) after my breakup... mind you, we broke up 1,5 year ago now. We were together for 4,5 years living together... I still feel the emptiness inside if I really think aabout it, but I don't usually do.. However, instead of thinking about it all day every day, it slowly decreased to few times a day every day, to then only one time a day, to then only every other day, to only few days per week... And so on it continues until you think about it and realize you no longer feel anything about it anymore. It is part of the healing process. The only thing you can do is keep yourself busy and stay active doing things you like/love and enjoy doing... It will take your time away from it, especially in the beginning. Some people hook up or use other people to fill the void, but that won't work.. Sometimes u meet someone better, you just have to give yourself time and keep yourself busy and occupied and hopefully with some time and positivity you will feel better. But it is not easy. Youve lost someone dear and close, and sometimes it's hard letting go. But time heals all wounds - or at leaast it teaches you to move on with the pain. I hope you feel better soon.

• It's normal, I like to say it's like being in shock. The reality of it all hasn't completely hit you yet. Just give it a little bit of time.

• Yes, after a break-up you go through a similar grieving process as a person who has lost a loved one in death. Even though the person hasn't died , you still feel a sense of loss. Numbness is part of the stages grief

It's takes time to get used to someone suddenly not being part of your life anymore. You face the difficult task of planning a future without them in it anymore. So you feel so empty and numb inside. It's normal. Numbness is your hearts’ way of protecting you from a lack of understanding and pain. Eventually the numbness will ride itself out. Numbness protects you from the shock of your new reality

• yes. maybe his impact onto you was really that big and when you broke up it felt like there was a huge thing that was torn apart from you. i think you should start by going out more, continue with our hobbies, and start being the 'you' before you met that person.

• Thanks that's a very good advise as well

• Yes it is normal I've felt like that before after my break up but I have healed. Its like having a broken leg and not being able to walk for days. It takes baby steps to get back up again. Take this process that you are going through as a time to heal. Trust me, break ups suck I know it. Take time out for yourself spoil yourself, go with your friends, pick up a new hobby, do something you love or something you've always wanted to try and go for it. Keep yourself busy and just focus on yourself don't worry about anyone else. Try not to dwell on it to much because it'll just hurt more.

• It is normal. You have to give yourself time to heal. Be patient. Everything will eventually get better

• Yup! Welcome Back! haha!

• Only time will heal it. And the length of time for healing depends on how long the relationship was. I ended a 2 month relationship awhile back, and it took about a month to feel back to normal. The longer the relationship, the longer the healing time after the breakup. How long was it?

• it is normal to feel like this you need to find a distraction like going through your wardrobe and getting rid of things you haven't worn in over a year. once you have de cluttered the wardrobe you start to look for new outfits. once you have the outfits look for the accessories. feel better about yourself be confident and go out into the world and do the things that make you happy. always remember you are special no one can take that from you.

• Yes the emotional link is severed. Just because it isn't a physical link, but effects can be felt.

Sleep on it.

• Sure it is. Breakups are seldom easy to deal with. Especially if the feelings were deep. Try to occupy your mind with other things. Keep busy. Start a new hobby. Pick up an old one. You'll feel better eventually.

• yeah man, it makes sense

• I'm going through the same thing now! You're not alone, girl. I'm just trying to fill all my days with activities outside of the house. I've been making lists of silly or mundane things to do and doing them just to cross them off my list. Just trying to fill my days to get my mind off of the break-up. It's working for me for the most part so maybe try that?

• It's normal😊 after you feel numb or empty, you will no longer love him as much as you do anymore. I was like that before.

• It's completely natural

• I can totally understand you :-(

• Unfortunately it is normal and it just takes time. I always count the days to get me through on the rough ones. But make plans and keep busy!! Then one day you'll wake up and not feel so bad! Best of luck xxx

• I got rejected by my crush and I was okay for a few hours and then it hit me really hard and I felt numb. So I think it's normal :)

• Yes it's normal