Do you have a song that you associate with a former partner? Does it hurt to listen to it?

She shared this with me.

After two years, outside circumstance forced us apart against our wishes. We parted with love, wished each other well, but she leaves a significant hole in my life.

I can only guess what my blood-alcohol content is right now. Being with her at this point would mean leaving my job, my city, and being completely ostracized by a family who could barely deign to recognize her as a human being thanks to the faith she was raised with.

I guess this is the "bargaining" stage...

Most Helpful Girl

• yeah, "what's my name" by rihanna and drake reminds me of my first boyfriend ever back when i was 18 and i don't like hearing it at all.
    "im not alright" by shinedown makes me really sad and nostalgic because it reminds me of a guy i thought i loved :(

Most Helpful Guy

• Not a song, but an entire concert. It was a Bob Seger concert. I'm not even sure of the year. My best guess is 1977, maybe 1978. I went to the concert with someone I loved dearly. It was the last time we went out together. I think I only saw her once after that, to say bye before she left to join the military.

I was with her almost every day for three years. We never once argued in all that time, never even raised our voice at each other. I don't even remember having a disagreement. Everything just flowed so naturally. I've had relationships since then, but to this day I think she was the right one for me.

Here's a couple of songs that always remind me of that concert - and saying goodbye before walking out the door. I can't separate those two things in my mind. The image of that door is burned in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khH9ih2XJghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM-8QNkqx4M

Sponsored

What Girls Said 6

• Thats beautiful.

• yup, still hurt whenever I listened to the song even it's already 4-5 years

• Yes I have quite a few songs like this, that easily can tear me apart when not turning off in time.

• Yes.

• 0|0
  • You'll move on in no time.

What Guys Said 13

• Panic At The Disco - Hallelujah
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpn7tp8wKvM&nohtml5=False

It was her favorite song. I've never heard of it until she showed it to me.
    It doesn't "hurt" when I listen to it, but it does remind me of her.

• Yes I do have a few songs that remind me of an X , it used to bother me a little to hear them but not any more

• Every song almost associates with something. There a lot I don't listen to because of that

• I'm sorry.

I'm at the stage where everything reminds me of her right now. I still have a pair of earrings I wanted to give her sitting in a box on my dresser. Got a much of school stuff I know I need to be concentrating on, I know she'd want me to be focused on that, but all I'm thinking about is her. It would take a long time to explain what happened and I'd probably come across sounding like a fucking lunatic. I love her, but I'm afraid talking to her now will only hurt her because we can't be together.

I've had too much to drink. Nearly 2 in the morning. I think I'm still legible but don't think I'd be able to stand.

• My father argued forcefully that we ought to have nuked Mecca in retaliation for 9/11. Her landlady, by her description a sweet, nattering widow who took her in at below-market rates owing to her sitatuon, went there on pilgrimage last year.

They embarrassed the hell out of me last year when we dropped my sister off at the airport, glaring daggers at a woman who happened to be wearing a hijab boarding another plane and asking WITHIN EARSHOT whether it would be safe to fly with someone like that. Also talked about Ted Cruz' proposed patrols of Muslim neighborhoods, joking that maybe they'd shoot them all and rid us of the "problem." Speculated openly in front of me whether sne could be trusted not to stab them in their sleep. Fucking myopic bigots...

• Got a vicious hangover this morning...

• Thinking Outloud by Ed Sheeran.
    Still a little pang, but I don't feel in the mood for songs about relationships right now anyways.

• Yeah. First girl I ever actually loved, and now everytime I hear "Break Even" I think of her. "Cause when her heart breaks it don't break even..."

• I kind of do. I doesn't hurt me, but I don't listen to it either.

• Yes. Welcome to the jungle

• Something I Can Never Have by NIN.

• Just the way you are

• Yupppp basically all of that Lana Del Rey Album...

• Used to, give it some more time and I promise the sting goes away.

• Yes, that's one problem with relationships and crushes... once you have a song and things don't work out, you can't really listen to the song anymore...

Not that it makes myself sad, just the love and passion I had while listening is gone...

• Wow so beautiful. I have a few songs that hurt when I hear them. Thank you for this.

• Don't we all! 😔

• No, not a shitty song!

• @Poppykate Not at all. There is some amazing music from the middle east.