Should I tell my ex I'm seeing someone new?

My ex and I were really close. We were friends before we dated and I'll always love him but I've started seeing someone new... We broke up about 3 weeks ago... He was the one I lost my virginity to and he says he still loves me... Should I tell him I'm seeing someone new or just leave it alone. Part of me feels like I should so he doesn't hear it from someone else but the other part me of is afraid of hurting him even more...

• yes
    46%(12)43%(16)Vote36%(4)
  • no
    54%(14)57%(21)Vote64%(7)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Guy

• Are you trying to make him jealous? Do you really want it to be over between you and your ex? Are you really reconciled to never seeing him again?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on a few things:
    1) How long you dated
    2) Why did you break up/who broke up with who
    3) Are you sure you're not coping with the breakup and the new person is a rebound? If they aren't, do you like them enough to potentially hurt your ex?
    4) Would you be hurt if you saw your ex with someone right now?
    (If yes, refer back to #3)
    5) If roles were reversed, would you want your ex to tell you or find out through the grapevine? (If yes, you know what you should do)

Breakups are hard, I think people at times forget that not everyone copes the same and I believe that respecting an ex is important. The fact you're asking is good shows you care enough to respect him, and if you do talk to him about it just be as gentle as you can and assure him that it has nothing to do with y'alls past relationship and that you don't want to hurt him.

What Guys Said 5

• If you're able to move on so fast, you probably never cared much about him in the first place. So tell him and end things once and for all, so that he doesn't have false hopes about getting back with you in the future.

• Yes tell him but I am not sure you should be seeing someone at this point. You just broke up, rebounds are not ideal.

• Tell him so he can move on faster.

• You are under no obligation to tell him anything. Its none of his business.

• If you have moved on this fast then tell him definitely so he can see he's not lost that much after all.

What Girls Said 6

• With just reading the question I voted no, but based on your further explanation I would say yes. Since it has only been three weeks and you were friends before, it is best he hears it from you, especially if you are still talking to him. If you two still talk a lot he will be hurt you haven't told him if he finds out. If not, then you don't need to call him just to tell him that. But either way he will find out eventually.

• You should absolutely leave it alone. I don't know what the point would be in telling him that you are seeing someone new. Also, who cares if he finds out from someone else?

I honestly don't understand what the point would be in telling him.

• Sometimes it not always the best thing to do although you're trying to be honest. I've been in the same boat as you, me and my ex broke up for 4 months then we got talking and I told him that I was seeing someone else and it hit him really hard.

• If you tell him it night seen like it's giving him an opening to get you back. Just Do what makes you happy. Her Is probably going to be upset any way.

• No. You don't owe him anything

• What would be the point in telling him?