Has anyone never been able to stop thinking about their first love?

its been over a year since we officially broke up but only a few months since we cut off contact. the relationship lasted 2 and a half years and we had talked about marriage and our future but in the end he lost feelings for me and cheated. i can't seem to get him off my mind no matter what i do. any advice? im scared i will think about him for the rest of my life

35

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes yes yes yes yes yes...

For me, I fell in love with a girl that I never got to be with. I loved her at a distance while she never returned any of the love. This torture went on for a year and I'm still thinking about her... three. years. later.

I'm scared, too. But from what I learned over the three years is to never underestimate time's ability to fade past feelings. I thought time wouldn't be able to contain my thoughts of her, but how arrogant was I. While I do still feel a liking to her, now, I at least feel like I'm actually okay.

Most Helpful Girl

• I broke up with my first love last year. He left me and I was devastated. However I'm now in another relationship and I don't ever think of my ex or miss him. I realize now he wasn't the right guy for me even if I thought at that time he was. I'm so much happier with my boyfriend and am thankful that it didn't work out with my ex. The thing is, I also thought I'd never get over him. I really didn't think it was possible. But it is. The memory fades with time but you need to be patient. Sometimes only when you meet someone else you are able to fully heal and move on.

What Guys Said 4

• Nope. Still think of her from time to time.

• Nope I hate her

• Love doesn't exist, so what to think about

• Wow from the answers it seems like Girls can forget about past loves and Boys cannot.

I fell in love with a girl, she ended up just wanting my attention and was leading me on.

Although I am in a lot better place, after two years she is on my mind everyday.

What Girls Said 2

• You won't think of him for the rest of your life. Some people just take longer to forget something that once were everything to them. As soon as you meet someone new, your thoughts would shift. You'll always remember something good, until something better comes along.

• I dated my first love for more than 8 years staring in early high school. After two years apart we have finally reached a place of friendship. I will always care about him, but I'm definitely not in love.
    Your heart won't hurt for ever.