Who decides who moves when a couple that is living together breaks up?

I have never lived with a boyfriend and I'm currently single but I am curious as to how couples who live together handle living situations after one person dumps the other

That sounds like a fucked up situation

Most Helpful Guy

• Bingo! That's why living together before marriage screws up commitment. There's no attachment to each other, so if a breakup happens, someone is going to get the short end of the stick, and usually in a major financial way. It's even worse when buying a house and you're not a married couple. I'm glad at least ONE young person here seems to get it.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the situation; if you're the one who moved into your boyfriend's apartment, for example, then I'd expect you to leave, because it was his home first. However, if you got an apartment together, you'd have to come to a mutual agreement of who was going to leave.

What Guys Said 5

• Mostly it's based on the people. It could be based on who has it easier to find a new place, i. e. better job, chance to move in with family. Also it could be the person who did the dumping should leave, like giving back an engagement ring. But then you also have the fact that there are memories in that house that you can't stand to see day to day so you just need to leave that house.

Hope that helps.

• Depends on the circumstances, who ever can afford to stay where they are living in most cases or they both leave

• Depends who can cover the rent, I wouldn't move out and still pay half, but I'd stay and pay it all.

• the owner of the house.

• Person who was there first gets to stay.

What Girls Said 6

• Sometimes, a Couple who are breaking up, Decide to Stay and help One another Pay the rent and expenses... Many couples today who are even divorced, Do this to Save money in this Bad economy.
    And in other cases, They will sit down and Compromise as who can stay Or... Go.
    Good luck. xx

• I'd think both parties would want move out, but there's other ways to work around it. Maybe the person who was putting the most into the space financially would stay (get a roomie if needed) while the other person moves. Then in some cases, the guy would let the girl stay if they were married and he's the one who messed up. There's a lot of ways to go about it.

• My ex asked me to move in with him sow e got an apartment together. 3 weeks later he ended it saying he wasn't in love for a month and thought moving in would fix it. As if 3 weeks were going to fix it, but anyway. We lived together for a month after that until he said he wanted to move out bc living together felt too much like being together. A week later he got into a relationship and I told him to get out now. So he stayed with a friend until he could get his stuff moved out. I've been living there, barely scraping by. I don't think it works when you try to live together. We got along great and I kept falling even more in love and when he got a girlfriend it broke me and I knew I couldn't have him there anymore. They say if exes can remain friends they never were in love or they still are. We worked great as friends after the breakup, but not once he started dating bc I was still in love. So I got the apartment, dog, and broken heart and he got to move in with his best friend and be in love with the girl 3 weeks after they started dating lol

• Whoever moved in moves out. If you rented it together you both move out unless one wants to stay and one wants to go. If no one can afford to go then you're roommates and probably friends with benefits until someone leaves.

• usually the one who is not the main person on the lease has to move or they both do.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more