What makes people gain weight after a breakup?

What makes people gain weight after a breakup? My last girlfriend broke up with me and told me to move on and has gained a ton of weight since. It surprised me. I thought she would do the opposite because she wanted to "find a better guy."

Many of the responses are the same. That she is depressed and needs time to get over me. It's kind of interesting because I thought she was over me. I thought she broke up with me because she didn't want me anymore. So this leads to my next question. What makes women break up with men without an explanation and then be depressed about the breakup? If this is so hard for her, why did she even push me away in the first place?

125

Most Helpful Girl

• Feeling depressed and/or lonely, maybe? I lost 25lbs after my last serious relationship. But I had gained 40lbs while in nursing school and throughout our relationship. But I chose to focus on myself rather than dwell on the two years of my life that were completely wasted--after I picked up the broken pieces of my heart, of course. Being emotional leads to irrational thinking. Food is a huge comfort and it makes us happy. But choosing not to watch how much you eat even though you're sad will lead to lots of weight gain. Been there and done that.

Most Helpful Guy

• People often try to fill a void by many means, she chose food, she basically is eating her emotions. Some people drink, some smoke some do drugs some shop some have empty sex, it's how they choose to fill the void of loss. I do admit there are healthier ways of doing things, however we as humans tend to go with what's easiest.

What Girls Said 11

• That's easy, Depression!!! After an experience, no matter who breaks up with who, it's not common for someone to get stressed and depressed. This may cause them to eat to fill the void. Some people can't eat at all. It all depends on the person. She'll be OK, once she gets completely over you!!!

• That breakup was hard on me. It took me a long time to get to the point where I wasn't sad about it anymore. I thought she didn't care abour me anymore which is why she just cut me out. She was my first love so she will always have a part of my heart.

• Awe. I feel it. She was probably trying to get you out of her head... but sometimes what one really needs is closure :)

• I still have no idea why she left in the first place. She just said she couldn't give me what I needed even though she loved me and hated having to do this. As much as I tried to dissuade her, I was unsuccessful. This is ultimately what she wanted.

• It could just be a different lifestyle now. She might be going out more and going out with her friends more causing her to drink and eat badly. Since she broke up with you it is hard to say, at first I would say emotional eating. Which, even though she did break up with you the adjustment back to single hood and losing someone you are close to can be hard, she was probably still upset about it and might have eaten emotionally.

• Depression and loneliness can do funny things to you. Its sounds as if she's just started binge eating to fill the void. She's not yet over you, it could take time but she will get there eventually. Its almost like giving up an addiction. My mum used to smoke and she quit in 2006. Then she replaced the smoking with eating more, which caused her to put on weight. After working out, she list that weight and went back to her normal dress size. I'm so proud of her :)

• Emotional eating/binge eating? Also, some people take care of themselves while in a relationship because they want to look good but when they're single they lose the motivation or just don't care anymore

• Many people develop binge eating disorders as a way to deal with their sadness prior to a breakup. It's really not that uncommon.

There could have been many reasons why she chose to end the relationship. Maybe she felt something was wrong but didn't know what, and she missed the release of endorphins that come with love. Give her some time, cut off all contact with her if you must. She'll be over you soon.

• Stress eating?

Sometimes they feel that even though they love the person, there is a quality about their partner or even about themselves that can't be overcome, which they believe will be a detriment to the relationship in the long run. So they break it off. No matter the circumstance, losing a person who once was a regular part of your life is stressful.

• Actually I lose weight... if it was a sad breakup. I lose my appetite.

• Because yummy food cures sadness. At least temporarily.

• Ice cream. Loads and loads of ice cream.

• Maybe because their sorrow affects their tyroid.

• I dont think she is depressed, just enjoying her freedom and drinking and partying. The lifestyle takes its tolls.

Depressed people dont eat. People who have obsessions and need to switch it to something else eat. Depressed people cannot stomach food and yes there is something about comfort eating but this isn't a case of that.

• Well that makes me feel good about myself. Knowing that she is living it up and happier without me. At least I tried...

• But the thing is it isn't about you, it never was. She ended it for her reasons and if it wasn't because of something you did then it was all her. Let her go, find someone who deserves you!

What Guys Said 4

• its a way to comfort themselves.

which is weird in your scenario because she is the one who did the breaking up. usually it's the person who got dumped who starts eating more food and lying in bed all day.

• For me it's usually because I go back to drinking and smoking weed. Drinking= beer belly and weed gives you the munchies. I'm a dude though. But she probably got an eating disorder.

• Binge eating in depression

• pouting, build up of cum in your system. :)