What to do with engagement ring after a breakup?

My cousin's fiance just called off their engagement and broke up with her. My cousin is broken completely and she thought he was her true love since she been with him 7 years! Her ex bought her an engagement ring over $10,000! It is a beautiful ring by the way. She doesn't know what to do with it and I told her to pawn it since he broke her heart. He hasn't talked to her or ask for the ring back. What should she do with it?

1615

Most Helpful Guy

• Traditionally, and ethically, she returns it.

Legally it depends where you live. Even within the U. S., in montana, the ring is hers, California/texas/Washington its hers because HE broke up, New York/Michigan/florida and others the ring is definitely his legally, because they are 'conditional gift' states.

If she sells the ring at a loss then has to produce 10K to pay him back she's not going to be happy.

Also you NEVER SELL STUFF TO A PAWN SHOP. Pawn shops are not resale locations, they are loan operators where you put up collateral worth MORE than the loan, and then if you don't come back, they make money on the difference.

Most Helpful Girl

• How long ago did he do this? Dont sell it just yet because God forbid the guy comes around in a week or two and the ring has been sold 😳
    She should sell it though. Might as well get it out of her sight and make money off of it. What a jerk, did he even give a reason to call it off?

• How dare a man break up with a woman? Did he even think about her entitlement to own him? I think legally she can shake him upside down til stuff falls out of his pockets and whatever she can catch with her court provided butterfly net is hers.

• I'm not gonna support his actions, that was fucked up. But she should be able to be the bigger person and know right from wrong, regardless of whether he did.

• @jjmarvin she isn't like that and doesn't depend on him and they met while in college. They been together 7 years and she has a good job and can financially support herself. They both fell in love and were happy together.

What Guys Said 14

• Legally she owns it as he gave it to her as a gift. This is why getting married is stupid and guys get left out to hang!

• and thats sir is the reason why i decided we are both getting our own rings...

• In some jurisdictions that's not true, the engagement ring is considered tied to future marriage and legally has to be returned. It varies.

• Do the right thing and hand it back. If he called it off, he should have asked for the ring back...

• The ring is a symbol of a promise to stay together and get married if that's off, then she should give it back. Why would she even want to keep it at this point?

• Thats the reason I'm asking what she should do with it. She isn't sure besides selling it or give it back to him. He didn't ask for the ring back when he broke things off with her and he hasn't day anything to her about the ring... yet.

• Just give it back and let her move on with her life.
      Even if he didn't ask for it, just let him decide what to do with it,.

• She should just mail to him but she doesn't know where he moved to when he moved out. I told her to ask his parents since she has a good relationship with them

• I'm sorry that happened to that girl. I think the classy thing for her to do would be to return it. Not herself in person, but through someone else or even through the mail.

• She should probably return it to him. He can sell it perhaps use it to buy another ring someday.

I realize it is a gift but, I know I would not feel right pawning a gift that expensive when he bought with good intentions at the time.

• I thought legally you had to give it back, but I'm unsure. I'd look into it legally before it's pawned off.

• No. It's a gift. Once given it belongs to the recipient.

The kind thing to do is give it back, but she doesn't have to.

• @Sara413 yes, but legally it's a "conditional" gift which falls into a completely different category; look up the term under family law.

• give it back.

• I dont know what you should do but i do wonder what woman do with them when irs over? Personally i proposed To a long time girlfriend years ago but the bitch said no at the last min the ring i got her was the One she had been bitching about for years And wanting since she was a preteen so do women keep them? Sell them? Of just give them Away?

• pawn it

• i would give it back.

• Give it back or produce 10,0000

• Be an adult and give it back? Girls are so petty with engagement rings, i swear.

• She should give it back to him. He spent all the time and effort and it's just a reminder to her. I think it would be selfish and wrong to pawn or sell it

• Just wait a little bit. If he doesn't ask for it back within say a month, sell it

What Girls Said 15

• I would say to hold onto it for a while in case the guy has a change of heart. But after a few months look into selling it.

• He gave it to her, so it's hers now. I agree she should pawn it and put the money in savings to save towards her happier life without him.

• Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I would send it back to him.

• She needs to give it back. If he sues her for it, he'll win. An engagement ring is legally termed as a gift with conditions. They didn't meet the conditions. It's not her ring anymore.

• Sell it.

• I'd say pawn it, but she could be sued...

• She should give it back to him.

• ask him if he wants it back and if he says no sell it

• I would have taken it off my finger, given it back him, kissed him on the cheek and left.

• Give it back and if he won't take I'd pawn it off..

• give it back

• Throw it into Mount Doom.

• She should give it back even if he dosent ask for it..

• That's a tough one...

• Give it back to him