Why do firefighters get divorced so often?

Lol I don't know if i can't have a healthy relationship and work a job i love at the same time. I regret I may have to compromise </3
Thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• That is a great question but it ends up being more about you than firefighting. Every occupation that entails with it a high stress level also has a high divorce rate. Your work winds you up inside and when you come home that inattention still exists. Rather than be afraid of getting divorced strive to find a partner who understands what's going on inside your head. You are 21 years old you have plenty of time to figure out what it takes to be compatible with you as an individual. So rather than jump into marriage you should jump into dating. You will quickly learn that every girl is different. Some cannot meld with the guy who comes home stressed out. Others understand and attempt to accommodate. That attempt usually fails because they are trying so hard to understand. Other girls just seem to naturally fit in. None of them are better than the other they are just different. The type of girl you're looking for could be married to a policeman or a neurosurgeon etc. etc. They are not psychiatrists, rather they have an inherent ability to understand you get it. So yes your stress level makes it more difficult to find the right girl but that does not make it impossible. Rather it takes time marriage becomes a partnership not a melodrama of love.

What Girls Said 6

• That's not easy to be fire fighter. Maybe they can't find enough time for their relationship or they are stressed after dangerous accidents. Maybe some of them even have PTSD. I don't know really I've heard it now for the first time lol

• Don't judge your relationship based on a statistic

• Firefighters have been shown to have an incredible amount of stress. That could cause breaking down of family relationships. If you can handle that stress, and not let it affect your family, then you don't need to lose anything.

• Probably because they have weird hours and how dangerous it is.

• I'd guess a lot of firefighters are thrill seekers - a personality trait that isn't always compatible with monogamy.

The other ones are likely society-saver types and probably do great if they take care to find a equally invested and kind partner.

• I'm sure it's not easy for both parties involved in the relationship. Firefighting is a tough job, it's a lot to deal with I'm sure. And I'm also sure that it's hard to leave the job at home. It also takes up a lot of your time.

It's not about money. It's maybe more on the mental/emotional toll it takes on the Firefighter and then in turn that comes back to the relationship at home.

Just like the Military, Firefighters have to deal with a lot of terrible things. They see a lot of terrible things and I'm sure that's tough to deal with on a mental and personal level. They would be susceptible to PTSD just like members of the Military are. Mental health issues are still somewhat taboo in society. People are definitely talking about them more, but still there is some nervousness of talking about it with people because there is fear of judgement.

I think that might be a reason why the divorce rate is so high. I'm not sure what types of support are offered to Firefighters, I know it's been an issue for the military for a long time.

What Guys Said 3

• They are always in the fire house
    They dont get paid enough
    They put their lives at risk

• i wonder if truckers share the same statistic

• Probably because they don't make enough for women? I don't know. Didn't know this was common.

• Very. The divorce rate for firefighters is three times that of the general population, which is the highest rate in the nation, second only to that of the military