As the dumper, does one have the right to honestly express that they feel awkward around their ex's new girl/guy?

So a few weeks ago there was a big party at one of my friends' houses and a bunch of people were invited. There was one girl who was not so much my friend who came up to me in the local super market and we made small talk, and she casually pointed out how excited she was to be going with my ex (at that time we'd only been apart for a couple days... My initially reaction was jealousy, stupid I know, because I'm the dumper not the one who was dumped...) You see, the reason my ex and I broke up was for more technical reasons such as lack of practicality because I'll be going off to college in less than three months. Feels from both sides *were* still in tact. Any how, for that reason contact with my ex had not yet been completely cut off, because neither of us were ready to give up that communication part of our friendship.
Even though we broke up we both felt pretty open about talking about most things, especially since it'd only been a few days after we'd broken up that we had this conversation. Eventually the party came up in conversation and impulsively asked about this new girl who was so quick to the punch. I asked why she felt inclined to tell me that she was going to the party with you, (I hardly know this girl...), and how she even knew we were broken up, (we're not FB official and we're not exactly friends so I obviously didn't tell her). Little did I know that it was actually my ex wo reached out to her first, because he was lonely...
Eventually my ex asked if I were uncomfortable with him going with this girl, l and I honestly answered and said yes. Long story short my ex didn't go to this party... was I supposed to lie and tell him nah, do whatever the hell you want? As an ex, and the dumpee, did I already lose my vote? It appears to everyone looking from the outside that it was because of me...
In the end I learned the hard way that it was a horrible idea to even attempt to stay friends with my ex...

13

Most Helpful Guy

• yes why not? xD it is kind of awkward, isn´t it? i don´t know what is so wrong about it.

What Guys Said 2

• move on... it doesn't give you the right... ex is an ex... never stay friends...

• No.. he's your EX... you aren't in a relationship anymore. You are nothing to each other. Move on, he did.

What Girls Said 1

• You shouldn't be around him and his new girl