How do you know when it's time to breakup with someone?

I've been dating my boyfriend for over a year. He's really in love with me and he really takes care of me. However, lately I haven't been feeling quite the same way. I just don't feel the same fuzzy feelings, little things he does are starting to bug me, and I feel like we've run out of things to talk about. We rely on each other so much and we're good to each other, but I've started to wonder if this relationship has run its course. This is the first time I've had a relationship that's lasted this long, so I don't know if it's normal for things to fizzle out after that one year mark, or if it's time to end things. What should I do?

176

Most Helpful Guy

• when your at your wits end with them. when they are mentally, physically, and emotionally abusive...

Most Helpful Girl

• You won't feel the same "fuzzy" feelings you felt in the beginning when the relationship was new. As a relationship goes on, things change, that's just the reality of it. Typically, feelings intensify and become deeper so while you may not feel the exact same feelings you had in the beginning, that doesn't mean the relationship has run it's course. Generally speaking, the relationship should end if you realize you are no longer happy with that person. If that person doesn't make you feel good or if you feel like the relationship is causing more stress and heartache than happiness, then it's probably time to end things.

For your situation, I would say there's nothing wrong with how you feel. If this is your first long-term relationship then it's understandable that you aren't sure why you're feeling different. It's completely normal for things to start bugging you. The longer you're with someone, the more you start to see their flaws and maybe pick up on their habits that annoy you. That doesn't mean the relationship has run it's course though. You should probably just spend some time thinking about how you feel and then decide if you want to stay in this relationship.

What Guys Said 5

• It's definitely normal to feel different around the one year mark, but that doesn't mean this is what you're going through right now. Talk about it with friends who've had longer relationships.

• Be up front with him. Otherwise you'd be leading Him on. Be responsible and break it off. You don't love him like he loves you. So break it off.

• Whatever you do, beware of the consequences, good luck!

• You sound like you treat boyfriends like tissues.

• If she cheated.

What Girls Said 16

• Things do fizzle out because the honeymoon period is ending, you've learnt a lot of the interesting and small facts there are to learn. It's at that stage people either realise their love for the person is enough and they push through the fizzle (which can happen again around the 7 year mark). Or they break up and can't try.
    It's something to talk to your partner about though. But you should try and push through it.

• The spark doesn't die, it just turns into an ember. It's a deep heat, the kind that isn't intense and all consuming but lasts and provides the best warmth.

You need to figure out it the spark has changed from a roaring flame that burns bright and hot but doesn't last long to nothing or of its shifted to something deeper.

It's nice when the spark dies a little and you get to know your partner like an old friend but the kind of friend you get to have bedtime fun with ;)

• You should continue dating him and try new things together as a couple. Hobbies? Do and go places that would be the first time for you both and that will fix things. Even when it comes to cooking, shopping etc.

• Let him know how you feel. Try new things and try to work through things. Put in 200% then call it quits once you feel that you've done your best with the relationship for the both of you. My first relationship ended because my ex started having that fizzling feeling and he put no effort into getting to know me or trying new things together so we could experience being a couple together. I wish he would have just talked to me about this but I guess if he wasn't willing to communicate with me then he wasn't for me

• hmmm maybe you are getting used to him being around. in my opinion, i would suggest u take some alone time and then after that get back to him to go on a date out. not sure that works but, doesn't hurt to give it a try

• Same exact thing happened to me. I broke his heart and obviously felt terrible about it but, these things happen. You should let him know how you feel. Trust me the longer you wait the worse it'll be on both of you.

• If u hving this question in ur mind then its obvious u r not sure about this relationship n don't love him true.. u r feeling like something is missing then u should not continue this anymore. .. don't waste ur's nd his time too.. u I'll find someone much better

• All of us has that turnout in our lives. When it comes , calm down first. As to yourself why you feel like that?
    Because of your own Personal problems, life etc
    Or You have been feeling for a long time?
    If it is the second one then talk to him. Share your concerns with him. Communicate. It solves Everything. You have no idea.

• If you dont see a future with him then why waste any more time

• When you start thinking about breaking up with them.

• You won't feel that connect or the spark that you both once had. One minute you get so excited of seeing them and then the next day it just dies down. Sometimes the flame just dies out and there's nothing left. The chemistry may be gone, and something might feel different. The feelings just die out.

• one or other is going to have a point when things start frizzling out. it's called finishing the honeymoon phase. Don't be stupid to end things with someone who cares about you, just because you don't have the same feelings yyou did when you started out... that's normal.
    And it's better that you're having those feelings instead of him... bc if you felt his feeligns were dying down and his attention for you was shortening... it would feel a lot worse on the receiving end.
    So, try new things and try to spark new feelings with new adventures... but don't be stupid.

• bc if you break it and regret it... there might not be a second chance.

• same, im in a relationship with my boyfrd now, but the excitement is gone, but i still care for him tho. do u still love him? like ask urself honeslty, if he needed u or ur support or some sort would he be ur first priority?

• You don't have to be in love with him just because he loves you. If you don't want to be in a relationship then end it.

• end it if you want to it. it'll just get worse from here

• If you've lost that feeling then do your best to get it back. If you can't, then it's time to end things