How long should it take to get over an Ex you been with for a year?

It's hard to get over an Ex. It took me 3 months to get over him.. and 9 months to actually move on and be with someone else. I was mad at myself for being so upset because he cheated on me and straight up left me. Leaving me in the dark. He didn't tell me why until 2 months later he came back and got the rest of his stuff. He basically just told me he was bored with me and that I didn't give him enough sex. I felt whatever the reason was he could've just been a man and told me before just getting up and leaving me. The next day after he left I cried because all the shit I did for him I really loved him and he made me feel that he actually loved me deeply as well. After he broke up with me. I soon began to have insecurities, became depressed, and felt I could never be happy again. But obviously God had another plan... he brought another man into my life that is very special to me. We been together for 6 months and now where engaged and I'm happier then ever. I moved from california to Vegas... found me a place... got a job... met new friends... joined a bowling league and met my king. Some advice for people that's having a hard time letting go and want to move on... first get out of that dark place. Dont hide...& dont get to down about it. Especially if your the one that put your all into the relationship Forgive & forget. Please know your worth... love yourself... and BE YOURSELF. Don't rush into a relationship build a friendship with a person first. Build trust with that person. If you feel that person deserves your heart then believe in that person believe in love, it's real... you deserve love. Make sure you love yourself before loving someone else. Your worthed. & Don't go breaking others hearts because yours was broken. Love makes the world go round. Please put your opinion... and feel free to give some advice thankyou :)

• 1 week
    0%(0)0%(0)Vote0%(0)
  • 2 weeks
    0%(0)0%(0)Vote0%(0)
  • a month
    12%(3)9%(3)Vote0%(0)
  • 3 months
    19%(5)29%(10)Vote56%(5)
  • 6-12 months
    69%(18)62%(22)Vote44%(4)

Most Helpful Guy

• It will take as long as it will take. You can help things along by being outgoing, talking about it with your friends and not seeing your ex for a while. That's it.

Most Helpful Girl

• When a relationship ends you go through a similar grieving process to someone who's loved one has died. You feel a sense of loss, and you have to rebuild your life without them being part of your futrure anymore

There's no time limit to grieving so it's unkind and insensitive for anyone to assume others should be over a heartbreak after a certain amount of time.

We all react and respond differently to emotional pain , and we all have out own way of dealing with it. What's important is that you don't remain constantly living in the past. You have learn to move on despite your pain inside

Sponsored

What Guys Said 3

• it depends on the person personality but the most it can take someone to move on is a year if they don't have any mental disorder such as bipolar... one thing everyone should keep in mind is that the mind heals on its own just like with anything. people move on from a death because the mind heals

• You missed a category - it should take until you get over him. There is no rule or guideline. For some it will take longer, for others less time.

• However long it takes to down a couple shots and bring an even better looking guy home with you.
    That's how you get over exs

What Girls Said 17

• It's irrelevant. I never get completely over someone until I fall in love with someone else. It took me a year an a half to get over my ex of 4 years, because that's when I met someone else. But I'm pretty sure I would have gotten over him sooner if I met the new guy sooner.

• they say yiu should grieve for half the time that you were in the relationship (So if you were together for a year, mourn over the loss for 6 months)
    but it depends really. take as long as you need to get over someone (imo more than 1 year is unhealthy though)

• I always being single for a year after break up, to move on and enjoy my life with my friends, travelling and start a new hobby. It's literally the best duration to completely forget the pain and be ready for the next relationship. at least it works perfectly for me

• Breaking up with someone is hard when you are not the one not wanting the break up in the first place. It's even worst when they have cheated on you. There is no time limit to moving on. People need to heal longer then others, while others are so distraught from it they don't want to put themselves out there to experience those things again. I was in the same situation as you. I love to love and I wasn't going to allow an ex who cheated on me get in my way of finding love. My current partner is amazing. Sometimes I feel like i don't deserve him at all, he just means a lot to me.

• I don't think you ever stop loving someone you really loved.
    I can move on fast because I like being single but it will take me at least a year before I am open-minded to falling in love again.
    I want to make sure I have really reflected on what went wrong in my previous relationship before I get committed again.

• It takes as long as it takes. All of these guidelines of half the length of the relationship blah blah blah, no. It depends on the relationship you had, where you are personally with it, and why you broke up.

I was with my ex for 5 and a half years. It didn't take me 2 years to get over him, it took me about 3 months deal with it and then about a year to be in a relationship again.

Don't push it. Just go with the flow.

• It took me near about 8 months go get over my ex. He also cheated on me. But I haven't found a right man for myself yet. And I'm enjoying every part of my single life.
    Thanks for your article. I wish you luck with your man. :-)

• I remember reading an article some years ago... it said that it takes half the length of the relationship to truly get over someone you love/once loved.

• About 3 ish months

• As long as it takes.

• There isn't really a set time for these matters. It depends on how much you connected, how invested you were in the relationship, and more. Take the time you need. There isn't a right or wrong amount of time.

• Day or two

• As long as you want.

• As long as it takes. It could be in a week or it could take years.

• Thank you for sharing that. I'm still in the place where I can't move on as I feel hopeless and extremely hurt still even though I'm the one who ended things because of his lies and cheating. He moved on and is now having a baby within less than a year of us stopping talking. I hope one day I have a story like yours.

• I dated my ex for two years. It took me about a year to get over him completely. A previous relationship was off and on for about a year, and it took me about 6 months or so to get over him. I would have to say that it depends on how serious the relationship was and how serious your feelings toward that person is. Everyone is different. There's no "right" amount of time that you should spend getting over them. You'll eventually stop caring so much as time passes and you realize how much better off you are without the burden of a relationship that never would have lasted. Hope this helps.

• I'm 31 and I'm still not completly over my first real boyfriend. I was 16 and we were together for 2 years. I thought he loved me the way I loved him. But like your ex he cheated on me left and right. He ended up dumping me because I didn't want to have sex with him. We were supposed to get married after we graduated and every thing but it never happened. I moved on after about a year. Started going to college and met new friends where I met up with a guy from school, known him literally all my life and we've been together ever since! Been married for 10 years already! And we've got 2 healthy and beautiful kids! So yea I loved what you posted! It's true you can't love another without loving yourself.