When to let go of trying to be friends with an ex that shows no effort?

About 4 months ago in March my ex boyfriend decided to end things because he felt a distance between us and he didn't believe I was right for him. We almost broke up 2 months earlier in Decemeber, but I fought to stay with him because I honestly wanted to be with him. Instead of working on things he wanted to take the easy way out, breaking up.

Anyways, when he ended things he stated he wanted to remain friends and build a friendship. We hung out a couple of times and every time it was awkward between us. I admit, I have some resentment just because I feel as though he gave up too easily in the relationship. I try to be a good friend and keep in touch, but I feel as though I'm the only one making an effort. He never texts or calls and the only conversation we have is if I initiate at. I've given multiple hints that if he doesn't try to make an effort, then I don't think I can continue to be friends with someone who seems to not care.

Should I just forget wanting to be friends when the effort isn't being reciprocated or do I keep trying? I just think it's better to move on and if he really wants to build a friendship he'll make a conscious effort.

Most Helpful Guy

• The whole "just want to be friends" things is usually bullshit. It's just saying that will will be cordial when necessary. I would just let it go and not contact him again. I think that works best in breakups like this one.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes you should. The burden lies on the person who dumped you to make a effort to "win you over". Not the other way around. You trying to prove your worth to a guy who left YOU is pointless. It hardly ever works out. If he wants to fix things and work on your relationship he will put in the effort because he'll be afraid of losing you. I don't see any fear on his side for you to find someone else. He's not trying to win you over. He's making you do everything. That's not how someone wins you over after leaving you...

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• how long were you with him for? I think since he suggested the break-up you should leave him alone. if you tried to talk to him and work things out and there's notihng else you can do then what's the point. Sometimes men just want their time to do what they want and explore. Maybe he wants to do that. I say you leave him alone and try to move on until he proves you wrong otherwise.

• I don't think he wants to be friends really.