Do I help my ex boyfriend who is sick?

My ex boyfriend of 5 years came back after 1 year to tell me he is very sick, depressed, alcohol dependent and wants to seek help. He is asking me to be there for him. I am willing to be there for him. My friends are telling me that I am making a big mistake by offering my help.

811

Most Helpful Guy

• Help Him because as a sufferer of Addiction Myself who has been desperately fighting and struggling to be well I can say that it is the hardest and most solitude place to be.

Most Helpful Girl

• if you helped him now he won't forget that <3

What Guys Said 10

• I do not believe in remaining contact with an ex. You were not friends with him. You were in a relationship that failed. There is nothing left. All this does is create conflict of interest and other problems with future boyfriends, or could lead to you missing out on meeting someone new because your ex is still in the picture. Your ex's problems are not yours to solve.

• If you help him he will see it as a sign that you want back in his life. If you want back in his life then go all in. If not... RUN!
    And I really really hate to say this... but once an addict, always an addict. There is no cure, only abstinence with chance of relapse. sad truth :(

• That's no sickness, that's just bad decisions made by someone not looking into the future enough to understand the direct consequences of their actions two steps further down the road.

• I would say your desire to help is a good thing

but be very very careful in this situation.

• Listen to your friends. Nothing good can come from this.

• You're friends are looking out for you and rightly so
    i think this time you would be very wise to take there advice.

• If you help him. He will latch on to you and never let you go.

If you don't. You'll be free.

• You are making a big mistake. Fuck him

• Run like hell.

• Well if he is your friend then you should help him as friends unless you have feelings for him

What Girls Said 7

• Be careful and draw a very careful line of what is and isn't appropriate. Don't do ANYTHING that'll put you in a bad place, emotionally or financially. You're never obligated to help anyone, but if you still care for him I understand why you want to be there for him. Don't let him take advantage of your help and care. So if he asks for money, it's okay for you to refuse. If he asks to stay at your place while he "gets better" and you're worried about how that will affect you, it's okay for you to say no.

• You don't owe him anything. He has other people in his life for this. Don't put this responbility on yourself.

• There's nothing wrong with being there, just make sure you don't fall in love and take him back if he's not well.

• If he's prepared and ready to seek professional help then you're very kind to offer to be there for him. Just keep in mind that just because he's having a hard time, he doesn't have the right to take out his frustration on you. You can support him, but you don't have to give him all of your time, you have your own life as well, and you have to think about your own well being first and foremost

• Help him but don't take the relationship leap. Help him because there is someone who cares a lot for him and would really appreciate it if you do help him

• Does he still have deep feelings for you? If so, then I don't think you are the best person to help him. He will view every act of kindness towards him as hope that the two of you can get back together,
    If, on the other hand, he is over you but still likes you as a person then go ahead and help him if that is what you want.

• its not wrong, if you want to help him.. help him