Legally, can I do anything if my ex tries to keep our dog?

Both of our names are on the adoption papers and the microchip records. However all of her vet records are under my name, I bought her almost everything she has, and objectively, she is more attached to me.

We just broke up today and haven't discussed what we're doing with her yet. I hope it'll go without saying that she stays with me, but on the off chance he tries to take her, is there anything I can do about it?

And just to clear it up, I'm not opposed to him coming to visit her. This isn't about me trying to keep him from her out of spite or whatever. I just take better care of her than he does and I know she'll be better off in my care.

13

Most Helpful Guy

• Talk to a professional such as a lawyer or somebody that can provide any kind of legal counseling or advice on this kind of situation. I think you'll probably have the priority over him to keep the dog even if he wants to keep the dog for himself.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 2

• besides civil court no

• you both go to the park with the dog. Make her sit and stay in the open field. Both of you walk 100 paces in opposite directions from the dog. Then dismiss your dog and whoever the dog comes to first is its true master.

What Girls Said 1

• Im actually curious about this too.