Was I right to break up with best friend?

I (male) recently ended a friendship with best (girl) friend. I know she had feelings for me in the past but she reciprocates that she doesn't anymore.

She disnt take the (breakup) too well, asking me why we can't stay friends, why i can't find someone else and get over her, who she will talk to now an that it was important to her. The next day she's liking my stuff on fb like nothings happened, then i tried sending her a consolation message and she gave me quite a vicious response :s

Was i right to break it off? She gives me such mixed responses sometimes about how she feels. I can't stand being away from her and im afraid shell forget me, yet i can't just be another friend

What Girls Said 1

• I personally wouldn't have done that, wouldn't end a relationship over that. Friendships mean a lot to me.

What Guys Said 2

• You had your chance when she had feelings for you and know your stuck in the friend zone my friend. If you don't wanna be just a friend and listen to her problems then leave. But if you like her and want to be there then stay?

• I mean, no offense, but you sound like an idiot. ... In a good way.

If you have feelings for her ask her out. She did, so they still exist in some way.

Ending a friendship like that is stupid. If you can't get over her, then don't end it.