Would the divorce rate be lower if there was NO alimony and the amount of child support was only based on the cost of living and not lifestyle?

If there was no alimony, would divorce rates be drastically lower? Yes or no? What about if child support payments were only based on actual cost of raising a child and not so called need to maintain a certain lifestyle? Explain why yes or no in the comments.

56

Most Helpful Girl

• A guy should pay for his kids. And not pay the minimum possible just because he isn't with the mother, but pay how much he'd truly pay if they stayed with him.
    But there needs to be a way to control it so the money actually goes to the kids, not the ex. I've seen way too many women who don't work, haven't worked for years, but are getting their nails done weekly or twice a week, hair always getting done, they've got expensive TV packages with all extras, expensive bags and shoes etc... And it's like even if she had welfare and didn't spend any of that money at all she still couldn't afford all that... so you know what money she's spending on it really, and that's the kids money. You don't get to stay kept forever just because you used to fuck some guy.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah but the divorce rate is already high.

What Girls Said 4

• Yeah it should. Often kids have no control over the money so you have middle aged women popping out puppies and living off their three to six kids' child support. There are so many unsolvable gambles and issues attaining to child support and where exactly it actually goes. Its sad. should have direct accounts it goes to for the kids till theyre eighteen and portions that go to the parent for the kids daily expenses. That way the kids aren't scammed their entire lives living on the minimum while selfish parents or caretakers live off the fruits of their kids child support spending only the minimum on the kids. its just a sad dynamic.

• Youd have to be married for a certain amount of time to get alimony. "What about if child support payments were only based on actual cost of raising a child and not so called need to maintain a certain lifestyle? " this doesn't make sense. Its based on the cost of living in that state based on amount of children are in that family. I dont understand how it makes a difference. Most people get split custody if your not getting split custody its because they see you as unfit.

• Sure you have to be married for a amount of time but would the divorce rate be lower or higher?

• no divorce rate is high because people dont communicate. Women settle when they are in realtionships and wonder why they dont want to have sex with their spouse when he isn't treating her like he used to. Men stop being emotionally attentive , women stop being sexually attentive. People dont get to really know who they marry, people dont get to reknow someone when theyve been married for a while or have kids. Especially, when people have kids they never make time for themselves. You have to put your relationship first to have a solid family for your kids.

• Sure okay.

• I don't think so. Most of the divorces I see involve pretty serious reasons, usually cheating (both ways), physical abuse or drug/alcohol use that's wrecking the marriage.

I do think people should turn in receipts for child support, though. I also think spousal support should have a 1-2 year time limit, so that the party who elected to stay home with kids can get a job. (I've read a more modern cases where the sexes are reversed on this). Like it or not, leaving the job market kills your financial potential.

• With all these single parents... I don't think it matters.

What Guys Said 5

• I am certain that it would.
    About 80 per cent of divorces are initiated by women. If divorce was less like a lottery win, fewer women would be so quick to visit a lawyer.

• No. There are states where this is the case already.

• Yes the divorce rate would be FAR less and young men wouldn't be as scared to end up like me lol..

• That's what I thought.

• Yeah that's fucked up. Marriage is a raw deal for men.

• yeppers.. now i pay out about $2,000 a month in child support and $3,200 in alimony... so much for that great job providing a future for ME lol

• more like the divorce rate would be lower if people didn't rush into marriage

• I've always thought it was dumb that the more money a guy makes the more money the women receives for child support. The money should be for directly caring the child, not for benefitting the women.