Is it wrong to be friends with an ex in a relationship?

Yes or no?

43

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends.

In general, I would say that a partner's wishes need to be respected. But I don't know any details about your particular relationship.

Consider these points:

Do you still have feelings for your ex? Your partner may sense it, and his wariness is valid.

Is your ex a very good friend who is important to you, even if you take attraction out of the equation? I would expect my partner to understand.

After all, he was in your life before your partner was and may have contributed to a history built on a mutual regard. You may not want to give that up, and you would be right.

Would you choose your ex over your current partner? If he suspects this is true, of course he would hate it that you are keeping your ex in your life.

Are you absolutely honest with himr? If you truly are, and your ex is not a threat to your current relationship, your partner should try to understand.

No couple is an island.

Perhaps you have the best of intentions and your partner is too insecure to appreciate it. In that case, he will be insecure and controlling of many other factors of your life.

Perhaps you truly are still harboring feelings for your ex and keeping him around in your life as a way to run back to him, if and when the means to do so open up.

So you should ask yourself this, wishing you the best of luck.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 2

• depends on the situation.. but be warned it can damage future relationships

• no. never. exes are past history.

What Girls Said 3

• It depends.

If it is innocent and just being friends, it is not wrong, just not preferable from the perspective of your current SO

• I don't believe in friendship after a breakup. It just complicates a lot of shit.

• Depends on the situation and if you've both given each other time to move past each other.