Why do people work harder and look better after a breakup?

I've noticed that after I went through a bad breakup, I focused more on myself and accomplished more than I ever have. I learned to love myself and put myself first. It's weird that I never had such motivation to do so before the breakup.

13

Most Helpful Guy

• It's because a breakup is painful because you're angry about having invested your feelings and it gave Nothing. So you want to stop investing into someone, you want to get your revenge for yourself and maybe you look to outperform the one that broke your heart. A breakup, particularly a bad breakup can also be humiliating. So you clean the offense by improving and getting somewhere at last. A breakup can give a lot of energy through hate, and congrats for using it so constructively.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's funny that you asked this because that's exactly what I'm doing now. The reason I'm doing it is well my boyfriend j think left me for another girl or he was cheating on me and I wanna look better and do better because when I post things on fb (I have him on fb) and then maybe he'll regret letting me go and be like I shouldn't have let her go and that makes me feel good in a way of that mKes sense lol

What Guys Said 2

• Because when something fails, it motivates you to do better. You send an implicit message that it's a loss for your partner. It's human nature to always get back up when you're down.

• To show they're available again.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!