Would you date someone who broke off their engagement for you?

So, there's this guy whom had a thing for me a while back. It never worked out because apparently he met someone else first, they started dating, and got engaged. I was very hurt because I liked him a lot, but I got over it. The way things where going with us, it seemed we'd be the perfect couple, and that we had a lot in common, but he held back his pursuit of me, because the other girl whom he liked first.

His girl gives me ugly stares, and doesn't seem to like me, because I think he told her about me.

I think they're breaking off the engagement, and I'm afraid he'll start pursuing me now.

Let's say that's the case, I feel he'll just keep up with the same cycles running back & forth from me to her, and never commit. Or that he'll keep me strong along to prevent from going so far as he did with the last girl.

What would you suggest?

44

Most Helpful Guy

• If someone is/was engaged and they are willing to end it just to get with another person, who's to say they won't do it to you in the future when a new gal pops up.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, first off, you only *think* they might break off the engagement so don't get ahead of yourself. You don't even know *if* they'll break it off and *if* he'll start pursuing you. So cross that bridge when you actually get to it.
    But ok, for the sake of your question, it clearly seems like you're uncomfortable with the idea of dating him since he comes off as unstable and you're afraid that it would be a very on-off-on-off-on-off thing. You basically answered your own question. Don't do it.
    And I personally wouldn't do it either. It would make me uncomfortable.

What Guys Said 3

• well it doesn't sound like you and this guy had a relationship so i think it's unfair to fault him for dating someone else

you could enter into a relationship with him and see how things go

• That's exactly what my mom did to be with my dad. They've been together over 40 years.

• Wait till he is actually single for awhile before trying again

What Girls Said 3

• I'd nope out. Honestly it would make me really uncomfortable that someone was thinking about me when they were already dating someone else and to the point that they think they want to date me instead. That's not something I'd want to touch with a 10 foot pole.

• I would find a better guy it seems he doesn't seem to care about either of you and he's stringing you on. Also that could lead to you and him having a thing and you're also a woman would you want you're man to. cheat on you with another girl he likes I. would think that wouldn't be the best idea you know. Also in the end everyone gets hurt I think its best to leave him alone and fond a new friend and love interests.

• Maybe ma