Ever gone to therapy?

Has anyone here gone to therapy? If so, did it help you? How long did you go for? Do you still go?

Most Helpful Guy

• I''ve done therapy. Yeah, it was good for me, but, the thing is that I know a little about psychology and know a shitload about physics and control systems - things involving feedback. So, I am highly introspective in therapy and make it easy for the therapist. (I've been told that I was the easiest patient she ever had by one therapist.) Anyway, because of that, I realize that I am really my own therapist now and don't need to go. Part of the reason for that is that I know myself now and that is THE #1 key to happiness and avoiding needing therapy.

• You mean therapy is developing the habit of solving your own problems.

• @es20490446e No I don't. I just had a natural predilection for self-analysis based upon my educational background. For people who do not have my very formalized background, therapy might be very good to have.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yep. More than 54% of people with access to a therapist have visited one at least once, so it's actually pretty normal. It really helped with coping with my medical problems and truly believing that I was going to die and accepting that. It also helped me get back to my life after I was cured. (Yay!) I went for about 2 years, and I still see her once or twice a year if I need it. If you are considering seeing a therapist, I highly recommend it! Hope this helps! :-)

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 13

• Yes, when I was going to leave the first wife. I had three affairs, was never happy with her. Didn't help.
    Yes, the first time the second wife cheated. Helped a lot, we learned a lot.
    Then she did it again. We didn't bother the second time around. By then it was fake it 'till you make it, raise the kid, see where it goes from there. Things actually got better after that.
    Oh, and another time when I slapped my kid. Turns out I had a severe case of hypoglycemia, so it wasn't as much psychological as it was physiological. It did help things though.

A good therapist can be very difficult to find. There are a LOT of quacks. Or ones you just don't click with, or click with you. There is value though, so if one isn't so great then seek out another, 'till you find answers. There are answers.

Unless there are deep seated debilitating issues, a few weeks usually brings enlightenment and understanding, things get sorted out. Long term therapy is less common, everything is going to be different for everybody.

• I wouldn't recommend it unless you either have a lot of money to waste or your copay is less than $60

What people don't realize about therapy is that you need to find someone who works for you. Not all are created equal by any means and in many cases, one is not better than the other, sometimes it's just a matter of compatibility.

Basically you need to be ready to do a couple sessions with someone, and bounce around until you find someone who really resonates with you. This of course is a pain in the ass to deal with because of the insurance paperwork.

If you stay with therapists who are "in network" then many times, they will do the paperwork for you.

• It started a long process of change for me, and Im a better human being for it. I was descending on a spiral towards death. It won't make huge changes in the short-term, but over the years the change in mindset is palpable, to say the least.

• Just physical therapy

• I was going to go because some people think i am paranoid... why do you ask? what do you know? Have you been spying on me?

XD

• I have, and in my case the improvement was huge. Even when it looked like a small problem.

• Never have never will.

• Kinda. Might go back. Might kill some people

• no therapy is bull.

• I went to one when I was 26. I was dating a bad woman who was emotionally abusive and I needed to go to sort things out. Of course I separated myself from the company of that woman promptly when I figured out her ways, but I needed to go to a therapist to help get over it. I had friends to talk to but it was a bit more serious an issue just to talk to friends. // That lady was so weird. About 5 years after we dated, I was in a store and she was there also. She stood in front of me, as if to block my moving forward, and said, "Hi.. How are you?", with a fake smile and in a manner such that it looked like she was trying to be intimidating. Freakin' weird lady. One of life's rude awakenings dating her.

• yes,, i have both a psychologist and a psychiatrist..

the psychologist is more like a friend who i can talk to every week, and the psych is the one who provides me my medication

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 16

• Yes. It didn't help at all. In 8th grade, I finally convinced my mother to take me to a therapist. I thought it was what I needed, and I thought it could help me. That wasn't the case.

I would spend hours turning thoughts in my head and figuring out what to say (and imagining what she would say). It went so smoothly in my head that I felt it might actually be like real therapy. It wasn't. For the first session, she just asked me a bunch of questions about my particular problems. She chose questions from an online site and skipped the ones that didn't relate to me. I answered them all and left. It was nothing too deep. I thought it might be like diving deep down into my personal thoughts, but it wasn't.

A couple sessions went by and everything was fine. It wasn't helping at all, but I still told her about things. Then, it seemed like I could never say enough. I would write a bunch of things down for her to read, things that I couldn't voice out loud. Those were really personal but she didn't pay much to it. She never said much in regards to it. The last thing I remember talking about was my home life and my mom's abusive (ex) boyfriend. All she said was "do you want me to call someone?" -_- Then, I brought my mom into the room to schedule the next session, and I wondered if she could see the finger-shaped bruises on my mom's neck.

After that, it pretty much came to an end. She missed the session, then our next one was cut in half to 30 minutes. That was the worst session, because I felt like I couldn't say a single thing I wanted to. I just thought "fuck this, I don't want to see her."
    Therapy is a delusion, and I had been set free. I don't need it. I don't want it again. It didn't do anything for me.

• Personally I haven't , but I know a lot of people who have. Sometimes people need therapy when they have been too strong on their own for far too long.

Therapy is tailor-made to help support and encourage the patient. It's a necessity at times, because a therapist can help you to change your mindset , so you have a different outlook on life in general.

It can help you to view yourself and challenges in a positive way rather than negative all of the time. They help you to respond differently to your own inner thoughts , as well as towards other people , situations from past , present and the future

Change the way you think and respond , and you'll change your life for the better

• I saw a therapist a while ago, recommended to me by my GP as the first attempt to help treat my anxiety. I went to see her for a long period of time, over a year, but it didn't particularly help. I knew that mental illness is often best treated with a combination of medication and therapy so I tried to stick with it but eventually myself and my doctor agreed that it wasn't actually helping me at all and I stopped going to see the therapist.

• Yeah, once. And it didn't go well. I had a phobia of needles, and I went to therapy for it at a hospital, the lady started my session by asking me various questions like 'were you a wanted child' and 'are you happy with your appearance'. I was kinda like wtf at first, but I completely lost it when she said 'have you ever thought of cutting yourself'. I was like 'I'm here because I don't like injections!'. Anyway, two weeks later I got an injection, and even though I was dreading it, I thought going to therapy would be worse...

• Lol, therapists... I wish they'd just say, "Okay, tell me about yourself." Instead they ask those silly questions that are irrelevant to your topic.

• It was crazy the amount of ridiculous questions she asked. She knew I went because I was scared of injections and she kept asking me questions like 'do you ever have suicidal thoughts'

• I was seeing a therapist in high school for depression, but it didn't help much. I don't know if it just didn't work out with that certain therapist or if therapy overall didn't help me, since she is the only therapist I have met with. Currently, I see a doctor once in a while, and it's actually more effective than when I was meeting with the therapist.

• I went for a little over a year. For me, while it didn't magically got rid of my Problem, it helped me understand myself better. Also helps me to put things in motion and actually answer to someone (my psychologist)

• nope, however I kind of wanted to go, as someone once said that it helps you know a lot about yourself or something like that, I forget

• I used to therapy frequently back in the day. I enjoyed it, I used to get of that office feeling much better. It did somewhat help me to an extent. Therapy helped me in the short term, not really in the long term.

• Nope.

• I went to group therapy sessions when I was younger to talk about my sister (who has light autism, but at that time was a destruction..) and I did not enjoy those. I do hear good stories about one on one sessions, though.

• Yeah for mad crazy depression. Anything made me cry. My therapist ms Monica just treated me like I had a small cold. She just said soon school will be over. And uh like how is that gonna help?

• I need to

• Most of my life, and no, not really

• Yes I have and it was helpful.

• Yes I've gone.
    Yes it helped.
    I initially went for 2 years and then stopped going for about 5 then starting going again.

• Me personally never done that but I certainly know a few individuals that need that bad