Do "temporary" break ups really mean temporary?

My girlfriend broke up with me recently. She said it was only because she felt that she could not commit herself 100% to the relationship right now and didn't want to hurt me later. She told me not to wait around, and that if we both still liked each other when she is in the right frame of mind, we could get back together. Thing is, I don't really want anyone else. I overcame a lot to be with her. I'm okay with letting her go so she'll be happy, I just wonder if there's actually any hope for us in the future.

I realize I forgot to include that she was the one to call it a temporary break up and that's what had me confused. Regardless, I think all advice given was relevant and helpful. Thank you very much for taking time to answer my question.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes people aren't ready to commit to someone. It's painful when you love someone but can't be with them. I'd just respect her choice and let go. When she's in a different frame of mind she may come back.

The most challenging descion Is whether to move on or wait. How long would you wait for someone who's indecisive about being with you. She hasn't given you any hope to cling to , because she's told you to move on.

Although , she could be testing your loyalty to see if you'd move on or wait. Only you know what decision you need to make. It's easy for people to say move on when it's not them in love with her

What Guys Said 4

• Breaks pretty much never work, actually I've not heard of them ever working. I mean honestly what kind of logic is it that staying away from someone is gonna fix your relationship? The real way to fix it is talk your problems through and figure out a solution.

• Never say never-always possible you two could get back together.
    Having said that - don't count on it, don't think about it, and best to live your life thinking and focusing on moving on from her.

• If someone says not to wait around, it 100% means it's over. They WANT you to find someone else so you won't text/call them looking to hang out and generally spend time with them because they are more focussed on other things/people.

• Thank you. I needed a reality check:)

• Sorry to give you the harsh reality. You're smart to recognise it and not hang on blindly. You'll get over it sooner when others would still be recovering.

• Please don't apologize:) It was what I needed to hear even if it wasn't exactly pleasant. Gotta rip off the band aid. Thank you, that's the hope at least.

• No they don't always
    http://i.imgur.com/psq5rqj.gifv

What Girls Said 3

• To be honest I've learnt if they don't want to be with you now they're not going to be with you in the future.

• No offense but probably not

• Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.