Guys, would you ever want to stay friends with an ex?

From what I've seen, guys say at first that they want to be friends then just cut all contact or just cut contact straight away. How would you react when the relationship is over?

• Yes, I would like to stay friends
    20%(4)24%(15)Vote26%(11)
  • No, I wouldn't like to stay friends
    25%(5)38%(24)Vote44%(19)
  • Depends on the how the relationship ended
    55%(11)38%(24)Vote30%(13)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Guy

• Like many things, in my opinion, it would depend on the situation. If the relationship ended well, without harsh feelings involved, then remaining friends afterwards is easy and simple. I’ve done it several times in my experience. Yet, if the relationship ends sourly, then that’s not really conducive to remaining friends, because there will always be tension between the two individuals as I have also experienced in past relationships.

In general, I don’t mind remaining friends with those I’ve separated from, especially if it ended on good terms. I mean, why not remain friends. Just because you don’t want to be a couple anymore is no reason not to remain cordial to each other; you shared so much together already, it just makes sense to keep it civil and remain there for each other. I have to admit that some of my fondest friendships developed from being a couple with someone, deciding together it wasn’t going to work as a couple, and just stepped back to being friends.

In an ideal world, I feel that’s how it should be. Two people coming together and make it mutual they know it won’t work, but remain friends instead. They already know so much about you since you were intimate together, it makes it even easy to be there for each other as friends in the end. And if that makes you both happy, so much the better. That’s my bottom line.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would never remain friends with an ex

If i still loved him , i couldn't have contact with him. That would be far too painful. Especially when he eventually meets someone new, because watching someone you love... loving someone else would be so unbearable

If i had no feelings for him then i wouldn't want to have contact with him, because it would bring too much drama into my life, and just complicate future relationships. I would view it as disrespectful towards my new SO ( if i had one) I would never put him in that uncomfortable position

What Guys Said 26

• When you try to "stay friends," usually the one initiating the break up will offer this just to make the break up easier and to relieve their own feelings of guilt. The ne being dumped will agree because they are holding on to some hope that the relationship will be saved. This almost never works out and it just prolongs the breakup.

• It's never a good idea to stay friends with your ex. No, I have never been in a relationship so it doesn't apply to me.

• I have always remained cordial and friendly with my ex's.
    It is never good to end a relationship without closure.
    If you thought enough about the ex to begin a relationship, you owe them the time and reason for closure as well.
    The end of a relationship is likened to a death and requires time with understanding.
    Just because you remain civil and emotionally stable with your ex does not mean that they are still your best friend, but it does not mean the total end of friendship unless there was some serious betrayal involved.

• Nope. An ex is an ex for a reason. And ladies if a guy wants to stay friends he only wants to for one last bang or for hook ups.

• Never. If I am in a relationship I do it with all I have. If it failed, it means that we were either not compatible or she didn't invest the same into me that I invested into her. Both aren't any foundation for a friendship.

Not to mention that seeing that person again creates a ton of bad memory about hurt and pain.

• Depends on how it ended but generally speaking I'd avoid staying in contact. Easier to move on that way.

• Heh. I actually just broke up with someone actually, and I did say I wanted to be friends. She likely feels that I've cut all contact and am ignoring her, but frankly I just want to give it a lot of time. She was a lot more into it than I was. Not to mention, I started dating someone relatively quickly afterwards (who I also met afterwards)... so to save the girl I broke up with some pain, it's another good reason to keep distant for a good while.

I guess there's no right or wrong answer. But I am on good terms with the bulk of my exes.

• I couldn't. Especially if they were the one that broke up with me while I still loved them. I can't just flip the switch and say "okay, I don't love you anymore, back to being friends". Too heartbreaking for me.

• Yeah thats very true, it would be extremly heart breaking, which I know from experience

• True 😊 Well good luck, It was a pleasure talking with you again ❤️

• You too! :)

• Staying friends after the breakup is difficult.. Cause for some it's a backup and for some it's Not moving on

• Not friends, particularly. But I rather end on good terms and be able to at least wave to them if I run into them on the street.

• I've only cut ties with two exes, the rest life just took in other directions. Occasionally I'll get an update from them but we're still friendly.

• eh it's difficult. it depends on why we broke up... if we see that it just doesn't work out and I don't have super strong feelings anymore, sure.

but if it ended because of shit that happened or I have still feelings... nah, I need distance

• NEVER!

• Depends on what kind of person they are like, reasons behind the breakup and so on.
    I'm still good friends with one of my exes and we talk on a daily basis pretty much, but I'm not in contact with the rest of them.

• No, there's always a reason they are my ex.

• hell no, never

• Voted C
    It depends for obvious reasons

• If we were friends before i dont see why we can't stay friends afterwards?

• B , as it's best to move on.

• I voted C because I'm in regular, friendly contact with my ex. My relationship didn't end with hostility, she called it off without giving me a reason (the only difficult part of it) but overlooking that, I'm able to maintain contact

• Are you not holding onto some hope that you'll get back together? Coz that's what I did for a long time

• Nope, gotta cut the cord and move on.

• Nooooooo... fuck noooooo

• I wanted to be friends, she didn't.

• Never

• It has ended
    It should be completely

What Girls Said 2

• Picked the first but meant to pick the second. If he was awful to me and cheated on me then no... I don't want him in my life.

• Nooooo, I'd never do that.