She's leaving for Australia in a year. What's your take on it?

I've been dating this girl for 2-3 months. I click with her better any girl I've ever been with. We see things the same way, have a lot of common interests, and we even have the same birthday.

I'm 29 and she's 23 and I realize that 23 and 29 are definitely different stages in life. A lot happens between those ages, however, she's more mature and intelligent than most 29 year-olds I know and our chemistry makes it hard to really notice the age gap.

We went together to a wedding on Sunday for a friend of hers. Had a great time, she introduced me to a lot of her friends and everything went nicely. Then went back to her place, watched a movie and fooled around for awhile.

Then on Wednesday morning (3 days later) she texts me at literally 4:45am and says "Do you have time to chat on the phone after work?" She calls me at 6pm and says "I feel like we're getting close to exclusivity and I'm just getting a little nervous. I think I need some time to think... I'm leaving a year from now to go work in Australia for 4 months. It could be longer though, and I don't want things to keep getting more serious before I have to leave because I know I'll stay here and I don't want to regret not traveling when I have the chance." She says "this is a 'me' decision" and that she thinks it would be best if we didn't see each other anymore. We never had a bad moment in all the time we've been together.

Meanwhile we have tickets to a music festival this Saturday that she bought for us, but we won't be going to that now.

Considering she's not actually leaving for a year, do you think she's being genuine in her reasoning for ending it? Maybe she's scared that things are getting more serious and is afraid of going further? Or does she just not think we have long-term potential?

Most Helpful Girl

• In such a short time already attending a wedding together where you met her friends may been viewed by her friends as a serious thing and it may have freaked her out. She may have also simply only wanted a date for that event. It sucks going to such events without a plus 1. That's just one thing. Being her age and having this opportunity in another country truly is one of those things that kids her age must do. Traveling and discovering places is the thing for that age group. And she must know herself by stating that fears she will stay and miss the opportunity if she your relationship progresses. She foresees 4 months, but she fears that with your influence she may cut this trip short. She may love it enough to be there longer.
    I feel that in this instance, it is best for you to support her decision to split up. Say you understand and you totally want her to get the best out of life. Why you even thinking about a concert is beyond me. That's like irrelevant now. If she got the tickets, she can invite another friend. If you got the tickets. Then you can invite someone else.

• So going off of your first theory, she may have just essentially used me to get a date for the wedding. Like a 'rent a date' ? Lol I agree with a lot of what you said so thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you should end things with her or keep it casual... cause if your relationship progresses and becomes serious It will crush you when she leaves for Australia...

What Girls Said 1

• I think she is probably aiming to stay longer than 4 months and doesn't want the responsibility of having a boyfriend back home because she is in Australia, working, having fun, experiencing life in a new place and she wants to be free. Did you tell her how you were feeling? Did you let her know you were, perhaps, willing to wait?

What Guys Said 3

• If you feel like you could really go far with this girl then tell her how you feel. If you really like her 4 months isn't that much of a wait!

• That's really really suspicious to be honest... I wouldn't stick around for that... just my take

• if she's Worth it, yeah.