Would it be too over the top if I blocked my ex on Facebook?

We've been broken up for almost a year now. And he has a new girlfriend. And I still care for him so I'm not gonna front like that didn't hurt. But I find myself checking up on his profile constantly on FB and Instagram. And I know it's my own fault. But I feel like if I were to block him it'd be easier for me to get over him and move on. *laughs because it's been a year* it's been really hard. But the problem is I know he'll know I blocked him. And I don't want him to think "Oh wow she's hurt." Or
"Oh wow. How does she know I have a new girlfriend." We didn't leave in really bad terms or anything. It sucked because we still loved eachother very much but we would fight constantly and there wasn't any trust on my side because point blank I just always thought he was talking to other girls. There was no honesty. We work together too. And if I bump into him he'll kind give me a head nod but won't smile or anything. But now I've hit this point that I don't want to know anything about it. I just want to pretend like he never existed. So if I block him in Facebook the lurking ends. Is it worth me doing this? Do I really need to let him know it hurt me so bad I had to block him? Am I being dramatic? We haven't talked in over a month or so. Since we agreed to end communication.

I blocked him. Thank you everyone.

156

Most Helpful Guy

• you can set the privacy settings so only friends can look at your stuff, see your friends, etc. I did that to keep ex girlfriends away

• All my stuff is private. He's actually the one who just about 2 months ago made his things public. Which he never did and now it really frustrates me because I get curious. So I guess it's my own fault.

• Does he no longer have a girlfriend?

• not sure...

Most Helpful Girl

• First of all.
    Don't think about how he will think of your reactions. Just focus on getting over him.
    If you need to block him, then do so. It is effective in the way that you won't be reminded of him and you get time to yourself like that.

However, you don't have to block him, if you can keep yourself away from checking his profile every day or something.
    You can simply just unfollow him on facebook.
    I did that with my first boyfriend, just because I don't want to look at his updates - I have no feelings for him or anything, but I just don't want him to pop up on my facebook.

But just remember, do whatever it takes for you to get over him (as long as you're not doing anything illegal or crossing your own boundries etc. - I think you get my drift here).
    Don't think how he will react if you do something, otherwise you won't be able to get over him properly, he will always be in the back of your head.

I wish you good luck!

• I really really appreciate this insight. Thank you so much.

What Guys Said 5

• yes, block him. you need your emotional sanity. I also have to wonder how he messed with your head so bad-a year later, that usually requires emotional abuse. either way "no contact" is the solution. that includes ESPECIALLY blocking his Facebook

• I guess you should if you think it will help you get over him faster. On second thought, I think it makes the person who is blocking look kind of weak or lame. Like they get mad easily and can't take it. But it's your choice of course. Whatever helps you.

• Block and forget him, and don't care what he thinks of you.

• What ever helps you heal is ok.

• Go for it

What Girls Said 14

• If you agreed to end communication and he has a girlfriend now anyway, delete him of Facebook or un follow if you don't want to block. It's not worth the emotional pain.

• It's not dramatic, I say go for it. I've done it to cut people after we ended contact. It's almost a nice, symbolic way of moving on.

• i think you should so that you can move on faster, i had the same problem with my ex and now i am really happy, i found the man of my dreams. though i will always care for my first love i wanted him to find the happiness that i did so i blocked him on everything. he tried to get friends to contact me but you can't look back you have to live in the moment.

• Well what's more important to you? Your pride or moving on?

• break ups are hard. Especially when the other person seem like they can care less. No you are not being dramatic. Yes, you should block him, try to enjoy life without worrying about him. If you agreed to end communication and he hasn't reached out (even if he did) it's not healthy with the back and forth non sense. BLOCK him honey, do it now and dont look back.

• block him for yourself. you can always unblock him later

• If you're lurking and you can't help it then block him. It's very unhealthy in aiding your process of moving on.

• how do you know he will know that you blocked him?

• Block him, I've had to do it before. There's no shame in it. If it helps you to move on, do it.

• don't block, it's an option to not see his post

• Block him you will feel way better trust me!

• Sometimes it's necessary to cut all means of contact with some people. It's not weak, It's important to cut people out of your life who have a negative affect on you. It enables you to move in.

If it isn't working just having no contact , then block him if it's hurting you too much

• I think it's a good thing to do. It's how you can move on, and possibly find someone who is more compatible with you. If you ever want that, you're going to need to get over him first, and out of sight means out of mind.

• No its not a bad idea but maybe unfriend and try & move on so it doesn't look like your hurt as you say, practice not looking for a day then increase it. I did the same with my ex after his new girlfriend added me by mistake probably spying (but I don't know why I thanked my lucky stars when he got with her! I knew she was talking to him and probably more whilst he was still stalking me they got together 2 weeks after we split after finding her make up all over his shirt!) I sent her an inbox saying we didn't have anything to do with him anymore & all these best to them both!
    But then it set me off keeping an eye on her page, as why would she be spying on me, and she had put lots of statuses up aimed at me from things he must of told her! Which i just laughed at, i know what he's really like but that is for her to discover all by herself - tricky to get out of the habit but be strong it's gone & done with!

• Exactly. It's really hard but I like that idea. Keeping myself on track and just increase that. And I find that he still posts things on his Twitter aimed at me and I know they're aimed at me because they're things he told me right before we ended communication. But he has a new girlfriend get me like why? He only recently took me off snapchat after being with his new girlfriend for 2 weeks. And I'm just like why did it take you so long?

• Maybe be more proactive rather than reactive - it's nothing to do with him or her what you choose is right for you. It is so hard and you will find yourself having a nosy from time to time and feel disappointed in yourself. I do it once every few weeks now usually outhe if boredom or feeling low - but it is a cycle that has to be broke. I'm getting out more with friends, do things you used to do and enjoy & slowly it will fade!