My parents want me to have an arranged marriage. How do I dump my white boyfriend of 6 years?

So here is the situation. I'm 23 and my Arab parents are trying to set me up with a guy from the middle-east. I grew up in NYC and was reluctant to the whole idea. But the guy is extremely good-looking, cultured, and comes from a very well-off family. I'm starting to like him. My parents don't know that I have a white boyfriend. I don't want to upset them and I actually like the guy they are setting me up with. How do I dump my boyfriend without upsetting him?

38

Most Helpful Girl

• Tell him the TRUTH!!! You are interested in marrying the guy your parents are setting you up with. Also tell him that your conservative folks might get a heart attack if they find out about him.

What Guys Said 8

• I think this is a moment where you just have to accept that you are a bad person. You were with someone for 6 years and you didn't even tell him that this was happening. The moment your parents started setting you up with the middle eastern guy you should have told your boyfriend about it. I have no idea to begin with why you would think that getting to know a guy like that is ok when you're in a relationship with someone.

There is no way to tell him without upsetting him, but at least he is lucky enough that you showed your true colors.

• Gotta go with the girls opinion. Tell him the truth. It'll hurt but it's better that than a lie.

• So it's arranged? Not forced? Right?

• Wow you are a loser and an example of why id be very hesitant/careful about dating a middle eastern girl in the first place. LOSER.

• He and you deserve to know and should tell the truth.

• This is one of the many reasons Arabs can really be shit eating scumbags.

• "im leaving you for my arab arranged marriage, sorry white boy"

• You marry who you want. You are an adult and do not have to marry someone you do not love. Stay with your boyfriend.

What Girls Said 2

• There is no way to dump him without upsetting him. He wasted 6 years of his life that he's never getting back just to be dumped for another man. You have to own up to it and tell him what's up so he can get on with his life and you can get on with yours.

• You can't dump him without upsetting him... it's been 6 years so must be feelings.