My cousin wants to break up with her boyfriend because he is a Trump supporter. Is this wrong?

My cousin is with this guy whom she really likes, and has been with him for a couple of months now.

On the night of the second debate, she texted him saying that she thought that Hillary won, which was a huge mistake and made him reveal his true colors. He got really angry with her and they got into this huge argument. He said things like:

"Oh, you don't like him because you believe he's a racist, sexist, bigot? Don't be a sheep like the rest of them."

And he went on about how he believed that trump won and things like that, which really made her upset. She's not ignoring him and refuses to talk to him for a couple of days and is thinking about breaking up with him. Do you think she should?

• Yes. It's petty.
    26%(12)31%(34)Vote35%(22)
  • I think she should at least try and work things out with him.
    13%(6)13%(14)Vote13%(8)
  • No, she has her reasons.
    39%(18)34%(37)Vote31%(19)
  • I think it is wrong but she is free to do what she wants.
    13%(6)15%(16)Vote16%(10)
  • Other (explain)
    9%(4)7%(7)Vote5%(3)

Most Helpful Guy

• it's not going to change and will likely get worse after Hillary wins. As she implements the plans she has for our country, it will continue making him mad as she thinks Hillary is doing wonderful things. I don't care for Trump at all, but I do know what Hillary is going to do. All these kids that think college will be free as well as medical care are going to be paying for all that free stuff for the rest of their lives. Hillary abs Bernie have you all believing they will make the top 1% pay for it. The real truth, regardless of political crap is that the top 5% can't pay for it even if you taxed them 100%. A simple question for those that think this is so great... If you had a business that makes you rich, are you going to be motivated to keep working you ass off to be successful when Hillary take a huge part of your income. How is Hillary going to produce more good paying jobs by making the job providers stop hiring. Obamacare has already put millions of full time workers be moved to part time work because of the expensive regulations imposed on businesses. Many companies that employ more than 50 employees have cut to less than 50 due to Obamacare. Many businesses are leaving because of all the regulations and high taxes here. If you had a business, you would be making decisions like these as well. Again, where are all these great paying jobs coming from that she promises. What about all the jobs that have been lost and will continue to be lost because of the businesses shutting down and moving to countries that understand how important job makers are. All these people who want her will be bitching when the reality hits them. If they complain to me, I will strongly remind them that they wanted it and to shut up. It's one of those "watch out what you wish for". The sad part is I will have to watch all the people who understand how things really work suffer just as much as those who are at fault. Again, I don't like Trump, but I, without a doubt, know what I get with Hillary.

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone has the right to date/not date or break up with someone for any reason they see fit. If she wants to break up with him over this, that's her right. I'm pretty conservative and seriously doubt I could ever date anyone with such drastically different political views. In many cases, political views and beliefs have a lot to do with a person's overall values. I wouldn't want to date someone who didn't share similar values and beliefs as me.

This is also an extremely polarized election so a lot of people have very strong opinions which can cause tensions if someone has such different views from their partner.

• Thank you :) just want to give her good advice

Sponsored

What Guys Said 24

• if you feel a person's beliefs are linked to or they support a person who has beliefs that you find personally offensive and divergent from your values then it seems like a perfectly fine reason to break up

• Normally I'd say she overreacted, but I think this election is different in that supporting Donald Trump says a lot about a person's character: that they don't value fact-based reasoning, that they are (or at least tolerate) garden variety sexism and racism, and that their decision making capabilities are sub par.

• What happened to liberals being tolerant of others?

• What happened to republicans being tolerant of others?

• I answered your question, so can you answer my question?

• I don't know if it was that. She was upset for him insulting her and stuff

• This election is very important for people your age - as important as Reagan was for my demographic. It's natural there will be strong feelings. They can agree to disagree, or they can break up.

• Both behaved immature.

That being said - political views come out of personal views and if political views are far apart, so can and are other views as well.

• No, she's saving herself from a lifetime of embarrassment. Of course it also means she won't get her "p***" grabbed by random Trump supporters, but she'll adjust.

• are all muslims terrorists?

• @PT1911

The truth of the matter is that BOTH Trump and Hillary are liars and panderers. Him for whoever will stroke his ego, and her for whoever will line her pockets. The thing is, since we MUST choose between these two almost equally bad choices, I have to ask myself which is LEAST bad.

I choose Hillary because, despite what the Right would have us believe, she was once a good person. Trump never was - he was always a spoiled daddy's boy who got ahead by using his daddy's money and connections, profiting by bribing officials and politicians like the Christie.

Then there's the lying. Should I choose a baldfaced, but lousy, liar - trump, or a smoother, better liar, like Hillary? Again, Hillary would be better at lying to the international community whereas Trump is just seen as a buffoon.

• TBu then there's knowledge. Now I won't say Trump is an idiot, but the REAL problem is that he could be stupid as shit --- I mean Reagan was a walking, talking vegetable from Alzheimer's while he was in office --- and it didn't matter a bit. BUT, Trump won't pay attention to his advisors. He'd be leading in the polls if he did. BUT, HE JUST CAN'T KEEP HIS STUPID MOUTH SHUT. That's what has killed him all along. The Republicans want him in office but he just can't shut up.

• Can she not make it just another 23 days? I hope after the election, some of this tension and hostile rhetoric will die down. I fear it won't, though. :-(

• I think she's an idiot, honestly. And her boyfriend.
    You can have political or opinionative differences in a relationship. That's such a small, irrelevant thing, and it's an opinion. Neither are right and neither should be mad at one another. If they were mature, they can discuss their differences in opinions without it getting in the way.
    Like I'm not about to end any friendships with someone because they believe Trump is the better president. It's a stupid thing to do.

• Political differences on taxes are pretty negotiable. I'd agree with you if it was limited to that.

But this election really isn't about things like that. It's really about morality and unfortunately about identity politics. It's about how we fundamentally view how we'll relate to other people in society, not minor differences on subtle policies.

For that reason (fundamentally incompatible world views), a breakup makes some sense. And to top it off, the way he spoke to her was out of line. That's enough to consider a breakup right there, the election aside.

• @TiffyPuff
      Oh yea, he also was an idiot for getting mad too. Don't get me wrong.
      Morality is a stupid reason, because yes Trump's a bigot, but that doesn't mean he has entirely stupid ideas. Both candidates have ideas, and it's a complete opinion on who is better. There's more than just bigoted reasons to like Trump, and I don't even like him.
      Like honestly, if I had to choose between Trump and Hilary, I'd choose Trump, because both are going to destroy us honestly, but Hilary is a genius (or rather, Trump's an idiot), she's going to destroy us worse than Trump.
      Thankfully, I'm not voting for either of them, but still. It's an opinion down to the very last bit, and worthless to get upset over.

• Thats a bad reason to break up with someone, I think people are way too emotionally invested in Trump

• I hate it when people drag politics into everything, if my girlfriend was a trunp supporter, oh well, just don't drag him into things

• I think its bad to destroy a relationship over different political views.

• Lol, breaking up with someone over this election is kinda stupid.

• She's upset because he called her a sheep and stuff.

• A lot of people are on edge because of this election. And especially with how things are going, conservatives are very on edge right now. Also what did she say before that?

• She's ridiculous.

• She needs to grow up what will she do split up with the next one for supporting a different football team or being a vegetarian , people are All different

• They should discuss it with facts and without emotions. Present the facts and state your case.

• She should work things out, everyone is entitled to vote for who ever she or he wishes to vote.

• Only in fucking America LOL, I think these elections get into people's heads too much.

• Ehh it's for the best because if that little thing can ruin a relationship then it's not meant to be

• your cousin is lying and stupid

• It's petty but kids break up for far more ridiculous reasons. Kids shouldn't be talking politics as they likely the least informed and can't even vote.

• yep. i wouldn't date a trump supporter

• Over politics? Gee. That's just silly. There are way more important things.

• p sure this is a troll

• I am not lying oh my god do you want the screenshots?

• I don't blame her. Who wants to date a retard?

• Whatever I guess she can do what she wants

• I'm not a republican. And, Liberals are supposed to be all about Political correctness and human dignity.

• @Zombie_Killer_Redux Your stereotype of liberals is ridiculous. fuck political correctness.

What Girls Said 16

• Okay, like Trump is a complete douche. It isn't just a matter of policy. Trump himself is just repugnant.

I'm no Hillary fan -- she's no Angel. But like, sane people who don't have irrational hate in their heart don't support Trump.

I mean, normally I'd have no problems with someone having different political beliefs and stuff. But this isn't a normal election with normal candidates.

And notice his reaction too. Instead of talking about issues, he started berating her. He was out of line, and he is also supporting a vile human being. It speaks volumes about his lack of character, and I don't blame her for wanting to call it off.

• This is why I believe liberal should marry liberals and conservatives should stay with conservatives, no point in trying to make a relationship with people having two separate beliefs it is pointless

• I just find it to be really ridiculous with this whole thing, excluding the political nonsense. But overall she is entitled to her opinion. I just think its wrong if his reasoning doesn't effect their relationship overall. But if that is his personal belief's to the point that his behavior and how he handles the relationship is questionable. Then yes, it is best to leave. This is a good question by the way. But remember that this is your cousin's relationship. She has to deal with him, not you. How she handles her affairs with other people is strictly her business. However both should try to find middle ground.

• So she's a control freak who can't stand that her man has no independent thoughts of his own? It boggles my mind why women say they want a man, but as soon as they get one, they try to emasculate him. Kinda defeats the purpose, ladies. Just sayin'. If you want a real man, what you want is a man with a mind of his own. Who does his own thing. Who won't put up with controlling b. s. because he knows he deserves better. Think about it...

• The guy can't stand her opinions either. He went off on her for having the opinion that Hilary won.

• I don't agree with my husband on hardly any political issues. But politics aren't the foundation for our relationship, so that doesn't matter. But how he treats her and the way he makes her feel? That matters more than anything else. If she feels that he is insulting and belittling her, and that's why she is taking a few steps back, then she is probably doing the right thing.

• He sounds way too invested in politics himself. And he was kinda rude to her. Since she has only known him for a few months, I can see how she would just remove his negativity.
    That being said, you didn't put anything over the top she might have said. Still, she's not wrong because she can break up with him if she wants to and he was kinda rude.

• I don't care anyone's political opinions. I think she is upset because of a deeper, underlying issue. He does seem rather abrasive and intolerant towards others opinions.

• I thought so too. He didn't have to argue with her he could have just let it go.

• Exactly. It's okay to have different political opinions but you have to be open minded and tolerant of others. He didn't have to start a fight, they could've add an adult discussion about the debate.

• I wouldn't be with a liberal. But I get to know someone before I go out with them.

• Someone supporting Trump can tell you a lot about them (none of which are good IMO). Even if he was somehow nice and amazing in spite of liking him he was extremely rude when he found out who she preferred. She has her reasons and they should be respected.

• I wouldn't break up with him just because he supports trump, but the fact that he didn't even respect her believes and insulted her because of them would cause me to.

• He reacted in a shitty way, your cousin is right to break up with him. If he had reacted with some respect I would say otherwise.

• Personally I don't think I could be in a relationship with someone who I didn't share the same values and morals with. It would just be too complicated and would end up causing lots of fighting so I'd say it might be for the best that they break up.

• Political differences are a perfectly legitimate reason to break up with someone. Why would you want to be with someone who doesn't share your beliefs and convictions?

• In this election, for a man to say all the terrible things he's said and hasn't at least fully addressed and apologized for them, but she's dating a person that supports him, well... I can't blame her.

• Tell your cousin to do her partner the favor of leaving... for gods sake!

• You mad?

• LOL no but this is just stupid.

• Eventually huge ideological differences create problems within a relationship. Better to find out sooner than later if you see the world vastly differently.

• Well, it sounds to me like she's breaking up with him because neither one of them can handle behaving and communicating like an adult... but then not many adults can either. They could just say that they each have their own opinion, they should respect eachother for the opinions they have even if they disagree with one another, and then they should go on about life. But if they choose to behave like children instead, more power to them and they should break up.

• They've been dating for only a couple of months and he is an offensive Trump supporter. Sayonara right there.

Your poll seems biased the other way. I almost couldn't find the answer that gave her reason!

• You act like being a Trump supporter is worse than being a Clinton supporter.

• @Thisperson98
      I don't date people who insult me and are disrespectful in general - people like Trump -, especially in order to defend someone they don't even know personally like politicians.