How long should a goodbye letter be?

Things between me and my best female friend (who I had benefits with) have blown up. We're never going to see each other in person again. Unfortunately, I have tons to say to her. I've started drafting a letter and it's at 3,200 hundred words, 4.5 single spaced (and I'm a concise writer), but I still have a bit more to say. How long is too long?

35

Most Helpful Guy

• It is already way too long! why do you need to say anything to her? Will it change anything between you two? Will you reunite if your letter is written effectively? What are you trying to accomplish?

• Not going to lie, hoping to some extent that it will save things (though I'm pretty sure it's past that point and it won't happen). I just want closure on some things. I had to hide my feelings for her for nearly six years and there's so much I wanted to tell her, such as why I think she's so great. It's more so for my sake.

• Thanks, I'm glad you also see it that way also that she was being cruel.

I want to reunite first of all because she has always been a great friend and hasn't been herself in the last year since her breakup, it's become hard to even recognize her. Also, she's the only girl I've ever had any feelings for and that happened before we even made out or anything physical happened.

I totally see your part about how how it would cause more misery. My interest though is contingent on her becoming more like she was a year ago, the way she is right now I know it would definitely never work.

• You can accept or reject people as they are, or wish for things that will never be;
      acknowledge that truth to set yourself free.

What Girls Said 3

• short enough so she'll actually read it
    at your current rate, that's a huge NO

you're better off writing that, then burning it. literally.

• this long
    Bye...

• Write it, burn it, don't send it. Move on. Also, she has a right to go out with other guys. And post anything on her FB. You are not exclusive

What Guys Said 4

• 7 pages is two long. 2 pages is about right. Three pages is too long.

• 3,200 words. Are you crazy? 1,000 words is a manifesto. Why are you even writing this to her?

• Mostly for closure and to tell her things that I need to tell her.

• I like @springocelot's plan. Finish writing it, then burn it. I guarantee that there's nothing you "need" to tell her at this point.

• Why would you bother writing a letter? She's never going to read it anyway, just write whatever makes you feel better, and then take it down to the river and set it on fire. Let the ash fall in the water.

• Are you fuckin kidding me? Too fuckin much. Just call her and talk for like 15-30min