What do you do after you've been broken up with?

Most people eat their feelings away, but what do you do?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, one of the best things to do is to take some time out for yourself to do some things you enjoy, meet with your close friends and talk about what you need to talk about and find an outlet to express what your feeling. That might be journaling, art, music, sport, anything that you connect with that lets you feel like you again. After a breakup you go through a lot of things and you have to allow yourself to process it all, while finding yourself again.

• So what do YOU do?

• Well, I'm mainly telling you to connect with friends and talk to people because I didn't do that when I've broken up and really regretted it. When you're spending a lot of time with your partner you don't see your friends as often, but it's times like these you really need them. I was sad a lot, I found that just writing out what I was thinking and feeling helped a lot. Doing some art work helped a lot, and praying and reading the bible did too (I'm Christian), I found it really encouraging. The time the break up was the worst, was when I did the opposite of the advice I gave you. I was just sad and shut myself away, thinking about them and how to win them back. It was ages before I expressed or dealt with anything and it was not worth it. So yeah, investing in interests, investing in others, investing in yourself.

What Girls Said 25

• Didn't eat for about 4 days.

Survived on Protein shakes (different variety) and maintained my workout. The aggression (as it has in the passed) helped me, briefly, up my weights.

At that time, I wanted to feel physical pain, not emotional. I took complete control of my life and became an emotionless monster.

Yes, Monster. * Now, life is back to normal. ^-^

• the time of grieving depends on how deep the bond was that I had.

But either way I just keep myself busy during the day. cry myself to sleep some nights and just wait for the day to come when it doesn't hurt anymore.

• I stalked my ex. I found out more about him while stalking him then in 5 years we were together. So, yeah, that kinda helped getting over him, lol.

• I usually cry a lot at first. Crying can be therapeutic. Then I cut all contact and remove all traces of the person from my life. I go to the gym and keep busy and my mind focused on things other than him and the breakup.

I adapt quickly , so I am able to move on from the hurt very quickly

• We cry, get angry, and cry again and listen to songs that helps us to deal with it better. Then we keep ourselves busy and rely on support from our friends

• To be honest, it depends from person to person. Of course you will feel betrayed, heart broken and angry... but thats all normal and part of the process of healing. It is really tough to get over someone you love. But if that person doesn't love you back it makes no sense. Life is once and you deserve to be happy. Maybe with someone else. Be open, learn from your mistakes, and dont let your past experiences influence your next relationship. I know it is easier said than done and I find it tough too... but thats all you can do and if you get a second chance to happiness, dont miss it. :)

• So what do YOU do?

• its painful but i will not give up without trying. This will help in 2 ways, first to let him know that i am ready to try and that i love him still and second, if it doesn't work out, it will help me know for sure that he is not going to be mine, ever. This will help me move on.
      I have done this before, and believe me, I felt calm, stopped crying over him, and became determined to make my life better and find someone much much better than him. It took time, but I am really doing good now :)

• I flirt. A LOT. And also with the extra time I work out more.

• Flirt like crazy until I get laid. Once it is out of my system I'm good.

• I've only ever been dumped once. In my very first relationship. And I sat on the bathroom floor and cried for hours.

• I cried for a day.. I didn't eat anything.. after that I started eating so much.. sleeping so much.. then I became normal.. consoling myself..

• Flirt for days 😂

• I would cry for a week. Then start focusing on myself. Start looking for someone else after a month.

• I still remember that night.. I literally went to the store at 11 pm and got ice cream, chocolate, chips and went to get a slice of pizza lmao

• I don't eat. I don't sleep. I paint, I paint or i draw or I write and I cry.

• Depends. Sometimes I eat my feelings sometimes I don't eat at all. Sometimes I just flirt my feelings away with other guys lmao

• I'll do a mix of what most of these comments say

• I don't stop thinking about him and stalking his social media profiles.

• I usually try to busy myself with work and friends

• I'll move on to the next person, flirt with them, feed off the love and attention they give me. It's a terrible coping mechanism

• I just want to cry and play video games. And talk to my best friend which is chocolate

• Nothing. Since I haven't experienced heartbreak yet 😆😆😆😆

• I literally moved to another country, but that was because I was getting death threats and he was a psychopath who knew were I lived. I then told him in the comfort of a vpn and him having no idea where I was that I was going to take legal action against him. Empowering times, when you get rid of an abuser. Sad, but empowering. I'm now in the process of healing with this incredible new guy who is completely different to my ex.

• I don't eat my feelings away, I flirt my feelings away.

• -eat
    -write poetry
    -made a breakup playlist
    - went on this site and blah therapy to seek advice and someone to talk to

• someone told me that we usually go through a faze... anger faze, mourning his presence, then slowly it goes away... right now im at stage 2

• I run to someone else right away lol someone I know is interested in me, it helps me be less sad because I feel loved. IF I don't do that I feel excessively sad and I cannot stop crying.

• He's probably waiting for you to tell him how you feel

• Who? Why would someone break up with you to wait for you to tell them how you feel? Crazy.

What Guys Said 27

• I go into damage control mode first. It may seem paranoid, but it only takes a few psychos to make you treat every breakup as a setup.

I'm naturally irritable, edgy, and impulsive. So when a gal turns toxic out of nowhere, I prepare for the worst. Life becomes a horror movie for a while, even if I pretend like everything is fine.

• For me I take relationships nowadays very seriously, I will not hook up with and date someone, unless I really feel a connection with them. I used to be so afraid to open myself up for the fear of being hurt or rejected. All this said, I am currently single, but there is someone I see potential with, and I think that now if I were to get serious with someone and it ended up not working I would be really hurt and sad, especially because for me to hook up with anyone nowadays means I really loved them. So yes I would be heartbroken and hurt. I would eventually get over it, but it would take me sometime. I would be doing things to take my mind off the hurt though, like maybe going and hanging you with some male friends. I dont think I would be doing a relationship for a while after breaking up, it would take me some time.

• I've gone on a big tear with my buddies, playing cards, chess, drinking is a common theme, eating whatever I want, and then after a few weeks of being a bachelor pig again and living it up, I'll just calm down, go back to being myself again and obviously you'll still miss them but if you force yourself to have a fucking party you'll get by quicker.

• It's remarkably refreshing to see both genders having a similar split between moving on too quickly and moping.

For me, it very much depends on how we were when we broke up, but normally I feel intense loss and anguish, frustration and sometimes bitterness. Sometimes it's a case of good riddance to bad rubbish, though.

• I tried to kill myself, but honestly, I've been on the wrong meds for years, and I didn't find out until the hospital put me on a new antidepressant... so in the end, it worked out for the better, because I feel better now than I have in my whole life.

I'm even planning to move to Europe in a few years and get a computer related degree, so I can do something useful with my life.

• Some get over it after a few days and some takes ages. It took me about five years, more or less. There isn't something that will fix your broken heart. It takes time. But you can keep yourself away from destroying your mind and body. Drinking is stupid. It takes your time, money and destroy your soul. It might numb you out for a while but it also freezes time. It doesn't give you time to heal. You can work and exercise like a mad man. After two years of sulking and drinking myself almost to death, I started working hard labor and rode my bicycle for at least 14 miles every day. Find something to keep you busy and active that will exhaust you by the end of the day. That way, you will jump on your bed and won't have any more energy to think of your ex. One day, some one melt the ice around your heart. Be strong and wish you a safe journey to the next chapter of your life.

• Find something to keep me occupied for ever. Usually after a break up i end up breaking game high scores and buff as hell. I dont party until im ready to move on.

• Hang with friends, work on myself and try understand what happened then after much thinking i move on

• I don't know why G@G suggested this question via a notification, I never been in a relationship to breakup...

• Mope around a week and bitch about it , drink a little, then get back out there feeling fresh the following week and ready to start your next relationship

• Used to simply get another one. Got tired of that so now I just have several hobbies besides women.

• I've never been broken up with. I broke up with my only ex.

• Have angry revenge rebound sex.

• Have lots and lots of sex.

• You accept that it's their choice, and make your choice to stay with someone who really likes you.

• I keep to myself for a bit, process the new information then hang out with my friends so I can stop thinking about it. Overall the only thing you can do is give it time.

• Get dressed up and go clubbing and have a good time, hang out with friends more, get it off your mind by talking about it with friends, work out like mad and most importantly happy

• Cry it out in private. Then throw yourself into a hobby you've been putting off.

• I don't know. Never had anyone.

• I wish I knew my wife just told me she needs a break for few days it sux but all u can do is stay active friends etc keep her or him off ur mind because when ur alone it's tough it's all u think of

• smoke weed. move on. it was a good time. it wasn't bad. love life. keep going. make it positive attitude.

• I try not to cry too much or be that crushed but I've only been crushed once

• broken heart syndrome put me in the hospital i been single since

• My first and only more-or-less girlfriend I had almost my entire life died a few years ago. I've been seduced increasingly to porn since I found out. 😔

• I simply slept, ate and built up my weight. Lol

• It has only happened once, i waited for a week then shot her a message i had chalymidia. I didn't but i knew she would get tested and waste her time getting tested and be all stressed

• I feel happy... women are scum