What is the best way to break up with someone?

I've been with him for two years. First of all I love him and have spent a lot of year that I think are growing years with him. But I also don't see our relationship or our selves individually healthy for each other. Sometimes he's snappy then he all sweet and kind. I just don't like how we are anymore. I'm more like a pal than a girlfriend and I don't think he's grown up enough to have a girlfriend and I feel I hold him back because I baby him. I don't want to hurt him but I don't know how to even start with the talk.. Please help me.

25

Most Helpful Guy

• It sucks no matter what and its hard to do but just basically tell him what you told us and the most important thing is to just be honest

Most Helpful Girl

• Ur going to hurt him there is no way to avoid that it sucks he'll feel bad and so will u but u can't avoid it just start by being honest and go somewhere private not a lot of people and say pretty much what u told us that ya love him but don't think y'all r best match for each u feel u have grown both of y'all have and it's not the same anymore neither r ur feeling u that ur unhappy feel like both of ya hold each other back or down and would probably happier if y'all went ur separate ways kinda talk either way it'll hurt him unless he has been feeling and thinking the same thing as u but didn't know how to bring it up

• I don't think so but he's not stupid. I'm just trying to let him down as easily as possible

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 4

• Maybe he's not aware of his actions, maybe he is. Let him know how you feel. Give him a chance to change. If he doesn't then leave. PAIN is a side effect of a pill lovers take.

• He's broken up with me twice always like a week or two before our stupid snickers art because we "needed to fix ourselves" I'd go to a therapist, smoke some with my friends and talk to them, even distancing myself so I can get better but he never means a break he'll have me over for a week we have sex in a month were back together nothing's actually changed. He breaks up with me constantly. I might be young but I'm to old to play stupid games

• sit with him and tell him how you feel about this relationship but don't break it up at that moment. Give him a chance because I guess he never knew his behavior was troubling you. But if he doesn't change after all that talk then dump him.

• Honestly we've talked about my attitude and his. He's told me he doesn't know if he wants to be with me and has told me he done about a million times but every time he calls I'm back bc I actually think the talk we had will be taken seriously. He knows his temper and name calling are a problem and him acting like a 5 year old at 21 is so stressful. I just feel like we're way to serious at 20-21. He wants me to be his all but I have family, school, and work. We also never really have fun like we use to. It took me a month of suggesting a hike before he actually agreed and he use to love hikes.

• Just follow the lyrics of the Paul Simon song "50 ways to leave your lover".

• Just gotta have a serious conversation about it.

What Girls Said 1

• there's no way around it -- you're gonna hurt him. so the least you can do is be straight with him

*don't delay the break-up
    *do it in a place that has no special significance to the relationship
    *keep break-up speech short and sweet
    -here, i would say you're breaking up in the first sentence. then briefly explain why.
    *allow him to vent

• Wrong advice, Break up will feel like one sided because give the guy another chance.