Is it OK to still wear/use gifts from an ex?

I have this really pretty necklace from my ex that I haven't worn for the past 5 years. today I decided to wear it again and I almost ran into him.. Ha! 😐 It doesn't mean anything to me anymore but I don't want to get rid of it. would you think it's weird if you saw your ex in old gifts after so many years?

• Yes not weird.
  • NO burn it all!!
  • No but you can keep it.
    Vote C
  • It depends on the break up
    Vote D
  • It's a little weird.
    Vote E

1312

Most Helpful Guy

• I would have no problem or think it's weird if i had a girlfriend
    or wife who wore stuff that her ex gave her. My ex girlfriends
    still wore things that I bought them when we were together.

Most Helpful Girl

• everyone's opinion is different re this

I would totally get rid of every single thing from an ex.

But that's because that's just how I am with anything.

I don't like holding on to past; with a very few exceptions.

And not to mention, if I am with someone new, and I hold no feelings for the ex, I would not want my new partner to feel even slightly upset because of whatever things I am holding on to that belongs to my ex/ whether it was a gift or w/e. You don't have to burn it. Just donate it or something.

• I have trouble letting go of things with sentimental value yes. The way I see it is that he was a part of my life. And that can't change, even if I remove all evidence of him from my life.

• I'm the same, I just get rid of things. Even just for myself, if it's over I don't want to be reminded of that heart break and the fact it's over. And if I get someone new, I definitely don't want them to feel second best, not as important, that I'm still carrying feelings etc. For me, past is past and they're my present etc. But that's how it's best for me I've found.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 11

• No it's not weird to wear it. If your over your ex and moved on then it's nothing wrong with wearing the jewelry. It is weird you ran into him.

• Almost. He didn't see me. 😓 we don't run into each other often at all.

• That is good you didn't see you. That would had been so weird and awkward.

• I think as long as it's not like a heart necklace or anything related to your relationship. I still wear clothes, watches, jackets etc. from my ex.

• No its a pretty silver circle with tiny diamanté studs all around.

• Yeah seriously, or you could just not bring it up or say you got it from a friend. I mean it's not like it's a heart where it's obvious.

• Yes that's a good idea. I don't have to explain it or overthink it.

• Perfectly fine. Even after a bad breakup, you'll eventually forget they gave it to you. Why throw away a good sweater when its in a perfectly good condition?

• I wouldn't keep a woman who kept anything from her ex.

One of my exes still has the bed we bought together. She's married, and I know she still has it, and I just have to laugh at that poor bastard and the things I did to her in it, why what stain is where on the mattress...

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be that guy. She still has his shit, she's a fucktoy on her way to getting nexted soon as I find another cock socket.

• Well, to certain items we attribute a value, or even values. Whilst the item, as a gift from a SO at the time of a happy relationship will have more sentimental value than any other, this doesn't stop the real, or market value from existing either. Now that the sentimental value for you is negligible, the market value of the item is something that you hold in esteem moreso.

• I still wear clothes and jewelry I got from exs. No biggie :)

• It depends whether your SO knows if you like the object or the moment behind the object. If you re just not sentimental regarding gifts AND your SO knows it, then he won't mind. If he does, you should not wear it.

• Well it's like whatever, you got it and so it's yours

• I wouldn't do it because of... well, memories and bad or good feels attrached to it. But if you don't feel nothing about an ex I see no issue, it was a gift after all.

• Depends what it is, if it's got a lot of sentimental value and was meant to be to remember his love then it's kinda weird, but if you're comfortable wearing it anyway then it's fine

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 12

• The issue of that ever comes though, like today, run into your ex with your boyfriend there and he says "oh you're wearing my necklace". And maybe your boyfriend could have dealt with the jewellery if he thought it was meaningless to you now, but the idea that it's from an ex AND you lied about it, would make it hard to believe you feel nothing about it.

I definitely think if you're going to wear it, and he ever asks about it, just be honest. If he doesn't ask then perhaps you don't need to bring it up because if it is 100% meaningless to you beyond just being pretty, then no harm really.

I find jewellery a hard one, it's not like a t-shirt that's practical. Jewellery is usually given as something special, so I can understand why someone would get upset.

I mean if it's about the necklace itself, and you think it's a waste simply to discard it, could regift it to a younger cousin/friend, or sell it, and buy yourself something new (just ideas if that's what you were interested in).

Like, I found a bracelet in a box that was for my boyfriend from his ex for their 2 years, engraved with "I love you". That, for me, is NOT something you can really hold onto with a new partner.

• Sorry, I started writing that as a reply to someone else.
      The issue of lying and saying it's from a friend* (for the start), and then your boyfriend perhaps finding out... You may say it'll never happen but shit just sometimes has a way of coming out.

• For practical reasons, yes. But think about why you're using them; do you keep them to remember your ex, is it about holding onto the emotional connection, or do you have no sentimental attachment to them anymore? It's fine to use them for practical reasons (like a pretty necklace is simply a nice accessory), but should a new lover ask you not to keep them, then get rid of them if you value the relationship more than material things. But if you're keeping them because you aren't ready to let go of a past love, then really think about if it's helping you or stopping you from moving on.

• If it was just a general gift and nothing something symbolic or personal then I would.

• Eh, I guess it depends on the person and the dynamics of their relationship and break-up. I personally don't want to keep or wear anything from a previous relationship, especially since I've entered into a new relationship. If it doesn't bother you though then it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. If you're comfortable wearing it still then go for it.

• Never okay! You get rid of it or else you have not moved on from them. God forbid a new dating partner sees that, they will assume that your not over your ex and it will cause hell in your new relationship. Also, you will end up bound by them for life because of that. Get rid of everything. No matter how much it cost.

• yes, a gift is what it is a gift.

• Depends on the reason why you keep it & wear it.

If you wear it to be reminded of your time with your ex then I would suggest to keep it in a box if you want to keep it. If you wear it and can detach any feelings from it I see no reason why not to use it.

I got an awesome coffee mug from my ex, which I use everyday. I'm not going to trow it away. The necklace I got when we were together for one month, which i wore almost every day, is gathering dust in my jewellery box. Basically eveything that makes me think about him is gone or won't be worn again.

• it really depends. i'm not going to part with a t-shirt i love because an ex gave it to me, but i'll definitely be giving away anything of significance (ie jewellery).

• I wouldn't be able to for various reasons.

• If you like that thing regardless of who gave it to you, than it's absolutely ok :)

• I threw everything my xs have given me but I know some of them still wear stuff I gave them and make me think they used it as a memory of us.

• I guess it depends on the break up! If you broke up on amicable terms, without remors/bad feelings and you have no feelings left for that person then it's totally fine. I usually get rid of my ex stuff because it generates memories and I don't want that.