Being Friends With an EX?

So me & my Ex have been broken up for a month... I've been doing the no contact rule for almost a month (I have one more week to go). He broke up with me, I feel like he doesn't know exactly what he wants & then life got in the way of things too. Plus, we stay 2 hours from each other & it was just difficult. We were best friends for 6 years & together for 3 years. I wanted to text him maybe after a month of not talking to him & I wanted to know if I should & how should I go about doing it? Before the new year comes, I want to know who to cut completely out of my life, & who to keep in my life. I was going to wait until he contacted me first, but I feel like I'm giving him power or whatever & I don't want to be that girl sitting by the phone waiting for him to make the first move. Plus, this is something I want to do for myself.

He claimed that maybe we were bad timing & maybe it would work out in the future, but I don't want to fall for that if its a trick, & I really don't want a relationship at this point anyway. I want to focus on me more, but I still care about him & love him, I just want to text him something simple & ask if he really wants a friendship. I don't want a sometimey friendship from him (fake) or an awkward friendship. Because if its not going to be genuine, then I'll just cut ALL ties with him & move on altogether. I feel like we'll be better off as friends, I'm not completely over him, I don't think I ever will be to be honest. But at least I could try to get over him & still keep him as a friend, its not like I'm going to be seeing him anyway since we stay 2 hours from each other. So that could help me get over him. But what do you guys think? Good idea or no? & please help me on how I should go about contacting him & when. I want to do this for me, I don't want to throw away everything if we had a REAL friendship. And IF it ever led back to a relationship, I want to make sure we take our precious time & grow before we try a relationship again.

17

Most Helpful Guy

• It's your choice is it going to make you happy?
    Like happy not right now but is it going to make happy in long term. If yes sure go ahead.
    He's been your friends with you. He will understand. Just try explaining in person. Just try explaining!

What Guys Said 6

• ıt doent work

• One of the most unreaistic things in life. Friends with an ex... Could perhaps explain how you imagine that kind of friendship?

• I know it seems impossible.. I feel like it'll be better that way, if not... At least I tried.

• No.. never communicate with exes. The same issues that caused your breakup will still be there.

• a lot of the people saying remove him completely obviously had bad breakups or were never friends with the person prior.. I am actually really good friends with most the women iv dated and yes i still sleep with half of them but still my best friend is my most recent ex and she's great as a friend

• If you really want to get over him, then remove him from your life completely.

What Girls Said 1

• Being friends with an ex is the biggest lie ever. Do not even try.