How long does it take a guy to move on from a break up?

I had a really whiney boyfriend who would try and make me feel guilty about everything. Due to the fact that our schedules prevented us from seeing each other and that he started to neglect me, I broke up with him. Of course I did it nicely and told him I still wanna be friends, but he got mad at me and is avoiding me. How long will it take him to stop?

39

Most Helpful Guy

• If you break up with the guy, the last thing he wants is to be told you can still be friends. He needs time to heal and being a friend with you is the last thing he wants. If he finds someone new, it won't take long for him to forget about the relationship part of your friendship. If he stays lonely, it could take time. Lots of time.
    Being in the friend zone with someone you care for is just a horrible place to be. It's even worse when she is talking to you about dating others and can't find the right guy.

Most Helpful Girl

• coming from experience, trust me when i say it's really very difficult to remain good friends with an ex. sometimes it's even for the best

What Guys Said 8

• it can take him up to a year to move on.

he needs to avoid you so he can move on.

remember time heals

• Well it could take a while depending on how long we were together but I would never harass someone or get mad. I usually wouldn't talk to them for a while which is normal.

• Anywhere from 2 days to two lifetimes depending on the guy

• To stop avoiding you? Forever because you ended up in bad terms.

• I'd imagine it'd be harder for the guy

• A really fucking long time. Believe me, I was him once.

• Well if he neglected move away he'd get over it

• It all goes back to how strongly he felt about you

What Girls Said 2

• Everyone is different

• first off, he has every right to be mad. anyone who gets dumped will be upset its normal. you can't expect him to want to be friends with you right away. thats ridiculous. if you want to be friends, give him time to heal.