Have you ever became friends with an ex? Is it possible?

What do you think about being friends with an ex. Considering that a certain ex used to think you are the one for him/her. Is it even possible? How can they just switch their feelings to platonic and ask you for your friendship?

Wouldn't it be easier for them and fair to a dumpee just to no see them anymore and maybe proceed friendship later, when raw feelings calmed down?

44

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on many factors, like how did you break up, how long does your relationship last? because it is so easy to be a friend of your ex if your relationship was 6 months or so rather than 5 or 6 years. Also , the reason for the break up is so important in switching an ex to " just a friend ". The real problem is there's a possible chance to be a rebound thing which is not an appealing idea TBH.

I believe you could greet him if you run into him at Walmart or sth , but that doesn't mean you are friends. He is a guy you used to be with and that's it. Let him go girl, life is too short to think about "exes".

Most Helpful Girl

• It's extremely possible, it just takes time. My ex and I are finally friends two years after we broke up. It took me about a year to properly get over him but once I had, we were able to be friends.

What Guys Said 3

• I have tried it. It worked fine for a while until we just stopped talking to one another. You just have to think of them almost as a different person than you knew before.

• Have to? So you make yourself seeing them differently? I mean my ex said he suppressed his emotions for me, while I did a complete cleansing of my emotions... got everything out of the system. So from my side seeing him platonicaly will come naturally, for him thou?

• Yeah it worked for me. It sounds like he may still have some feelings there for you. Just be careful if he starts asking if your seeing someone else or tries to get you to spend time with him alone.

• Nope. It's possible, but not a practice I follow.

• yeah it is very possible

What Girls Said 3

• I'm trying to but I think i really hurt him so he refuses to even have contact with me again.

• I'm friends with two ex's, I hang out with one and I speak to the other regularly

• yeah but it didn't last long as we became couples again

• You have? How is that working out for you both? Why did you brake up in the first place?

• we broke up after staying apart for a month... he wanted so.. then we never talked to then he texed me n we became like friends again n couples..