Do I respond to this message?

My ex boyfriend, whom I still love, finally texted me today after the passing of my father. We had a really rough breakup but we're on good terms. I'm wondering, should I respond to this? It honestly feels like a rejection but there's still a part of me who hopes we can reconnect.

Him: Hey (name), Im really sorry for your loss
Me: Thank you. It's nice to hear from you, how are you?
Him: I'm good, just saying how sorry I am

Is this a rejection? Does he still have any feelings left?

22

Most Helpful Guy

• No he was being pretty clear why he called. Don't pursue him.

• Sorry yes respond but just with a simple thank you and that's it. And, I'm sorry for your loss as well.

• Thank you, I appreciate it. It's been a really difficult time for me so thank you for taking the time to respond.

• Thank you for choosing me as mho😊

Most Helpful Girl

• Its not a rejection I feel he's just reaching out because it is something you reach out to someone for.

• But do I continue the conversation? To me, it sounds like he's saying "I'm good, but all I'm doing is saying sorry, no conversation". He didn't even ask how I was. I'm so confused.

• Hmm Im not sure, I mean not really- I could only imagine the conversation after that would be kind of pointless.

What Guys Said 1

• He wants you to know he is really sorry for your loss, but he doesn't want to lead you on.

• Thank you for your response. You're right. It's been a really difficult time for me so thank you for taking the time to answer my question

What Girls Said 1

• i don't think he is straight up rejecting you. i think he is making it clear that as of right now, he doesn't want to reconnect with you, but just wants to show you that he is sorry and that he does care. see if he contacts you soon or in the future. but as of right now i do not think you should respond.

• Thank you, I appreciate it. This has been a really difficult time for me so I appreciate you taking time to answer.