Why would a couple live together while going through a divorce?

I know a couple who are living together a year after the husband had papers drawn up. It's hard for me to believe they don't love each other when they're still there. Why doesn't one move out? If you hate each other so much, why are they still there? I don't understand what kind of crap this is.

Most Helpful Girl

• It could be for financial reasons. Its not easy to find a place just with a snap of a finger. They probably had shared income, the house was probable in both their names.

What Guys Said 5

• I went through a divorce I did not want. We were together 25 years. I lived in the house until the day the divorce was final. As a matter of fact, we slept in the same bed until that day. Not everyone "hates" each other. I fought to keep my marriage together until that final day. The main reason I did not move out is that we have 3 children. If I moved out, she could use an attorney to say that I abandoned the children. Then she could have tried to take them from me. I would have hoped that wouldn't have happened, but I also had expected us to be married until one of us died. I also didn't expect her to fuck other guys. I also didn't expect her to throw away her family after 25 years.
    People also live together because they can't afford not to. I actually knew someone that got a divorce and she lived upstairs and he lived in the basement. That is messed up. Why not stay married? it is usually the woman that screwed the guy over.

• I agree with everything except your last statement. I've heard all sorts of stories, everyone has their reasons for divorcing or going their separate ways. I'm sorry you went though what you went through. Unfortunately not everyone puts the kids first and decides to become selfish when going through a divorce :(

• Financial convenience.

• For sake of their children. Both of them might care for the mentality of their child, henceforth they didn't want to separate while being divorced.

• usually they stay in the same household cos of financial reasons, its just easier. Also sometimes they stay together cos of kids.

• Because it's cheaper and easier on the kids.

What Girls Said 14

• 60% of couples I know are married/ still live together, and don't love each other. Divorce is not an easy thing to go through and most people prefer to separate. ( they still live together and are still married by law but can do whatever they want and dont have the emotional bond) this happens for reasons such as for the sake of kids, reputation, and financial support.

• Because sometimes divorces are amicable and they can stand to be around each other? Also it's an expensive process and they might not have the money to move out yet? Lots of reasons.

• I think because it's cheaper. Divorce can cause lots financial issues, or make the issues there worse, so people can save money while living together.

• Divorce doesn't always mean the couple hates each other. Maybe they just realized that they had differences that made being in a relationship impossible? I know plenty of people who are friends or at least on good terms with their ex's. It doesn't make any sense to stay in a relationship that isn't working.

Now living together with an ex is incredibly hard. I've been there. But we were not married and did not have to go through a divorce. Perhaps they have to live together because neither has a place to stay. Or maybe they want to be adults about it and make it work until they both can find other living arrangements. I would commend people for being so adult and strong about it. Because I'm sure it's not easy coming home to see someone whom you aren't really in love with anymore lounging on your couch. It's hard to see someone when going through a break up. I can't imagine having that and going through a divorce. I can only thing it would be 10 times worse!

• financial reasons, or if they were trying to maintain some semblance of "normal" for shared children. still, i'd starve to death before i'd live with an ex.

i once had a guy i broke up with say to me, "we should live together until our finances are in order", and i said no. i left that night and, while getting back on my feet wasn't easy, it was better than anything that could have come of that situation.

also, not loving someone is not the same as hating them. it's possible that the split was amiable and this couple has chosen to remain friends (this was the case with my former roommate and his most-recent ex; they are still on speaking terms and both have new partners now, though that would still be way too awkward for my taste).

• They i might still love each other or consider it cheaper to live together then to live apart - a lot of people don't like their husbands or wives but stay together because they can't afford to pay for their independence

• they may not have enough money to leave

• Finances are tight.

• No money? And both wanna stay in their house?

• In case if they change their minds.

• They probably both don't have any where else to go, that's why they still live with each other.

Or it could be that they still like each other, but just can't get along well, so they divorced but still want to live with each other. And probably love the freedom of not being married anymore.

• Can they afford it? Do they have kids? Who would move out, are they both hoping to keep the house or not trust the other one not to destroy soemthing out of spite if they are not around. I've actually known a divorced couple that lived together one in the basement and one up stairs... they both date... in fact she's in a serious relationship while the guy basically lives there with her and he's always dating different people. Their marriage didn't work out, at first they stayed in the same house for the kids but then they decided that while they sucked as husband and wife they are actually amazing friends and they like each others company just not in the romantic sense is all. People are usually weirded out by it at first but they generally come around.

• Money & kids.

• maybe they have nowhere to stay