If you were living with your bf/gf and you broke up, how did you decide who leaves and who stays?

Obviously if you are solely paying the rent, there isn't much of a question, but assume that you were both equally paying rent.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on who paid the deposit and who wants to go. Even things like distance from work comes into play.

What Guys Said 8

• I wasn't living together but for me it was when I honestly asked myself SHOULD I continue this relationship? I could see no future in it. ALSO I don't believe in dragging a dead weight into the future. I need someone willing to work with me to make a future together. That is when things make draw the line I will not tolerate, or cross.

• Thinking of breaking up with my girl and we signed a lease a few months ago. I pay the rent and the bills, so I'm staying. She can stay until she either goes back to her parents or finds another place.

• if she is the one who moved in with me she goes. Clearly!
    And vice versa, but that wouldn't happen. I don't leave home for anybody, so she comes to me. Everything here is the way I like it, location, furniture, decor, artwork, my pots, pans, and kitchen knives.
    This is so important to me that if a new SO were to move in and decided she wanted to make changes, they must be subject to mutual consent. If she dares make a unilateral decision she is instantly homeless.

• rock paper scissors

• Well you would both stay since you both signed the lease, it would be awkward but hey your both signed on the dotted line. After the lease, then the two people have to have a conversation in which one leaves. Well that's going to really suck.

• Basically on who owns the house, the two of you should at least have the courtesy to help the other out with finding the other a place to stay if they don't have a place to go, sorry about the break up

• no need to be sorry, I haven't broken up with anyone. I was just wondering how people who have been in these situations decided this if like both were paying rent.

• I'm paying the rent, so she leaves.

• may be a toss of a coin.

• It depends on who owns the place. If you're renting, then the understanding should be that the person who moves out has no obligation to pay... only fair. However, if they signed the dotted line, the law still holds them responsible for paying.

What Girls Said 11

• depends. if he lived there first, she goes, and vice versa.

let's say that they signed a lease together but the place is closer to where he works. in that case, she goes.

if she pays the majority of the bills, he goes.

just a couple of examples. i've only lived with one boyfriend before the current one and, when we broke up, i wanted out so badly that i just packed up whatever i could fit in a friend's car and left.

• It should be a joint decision. If both want to stay I guess the house of the house is bought they'd need to selll it then split the profit. If it's rented then they'd need to work out something that's best for both of them

• Depends who owns the house. If he owned it then I'd move out. Similarly, if neither owned it, I'd ask him if he wanted to stay in it or move out. If he wanted to stay then I'd move out. There's no point behaving in any way other than being rational. Obviously if I were the one to move out, hopefully he'd let me stay for a bit longer so I could find somewhere else and move out my belongings.

• I think a lot of things come into it.
    As the others have said
    Who pays rent?
    Was someone living in the house and then the other moved in.
    Does one person at least have somewhere else to go if they can't find another house straight away.

• Whoever can afford the rent or has a roommate lined up should stay. Or whoever has the most furniture! ;) I'd say every circumstance is very different.

• Well I left my exs since it was his house.

• Both stay until they can figure out their living situation

• I stayed because I had the dog and he didn't want him but it's hard to find places that take dogs

• Who paid more on the house.

• whoevers house it is

• I'd want to leave... problem comes if both people do cause if you have a lease it could be expensive... if you can split the cost. I'd be willing to pay it if he couldn't just so I could leave.