Why is breaking up with someone over text so offensive?

Would you prefer a phone call or face-to-face?
Wouldn't it be more painful to have them look you in the eye while they break your heart?

98

Most Helpful Guy

• Exactly, it's more painful in real life because it's more real. When you do it over a phone you don't get the same emotional response so it just lingers unresolved and you repress your emotions.

Most Helpful Girl

• Think about where they are when they're texting you. Texting basically says I didn't care enough about you to do it without any inconvenience to me. It's not more painful. There's nothing that will make it less painful. But someone looking you in the eye is far more respectful

What Guys Said 7

• From a relationship coaching perspective, I don't see it as offensive but instead cowardly. The general perception of my clients has been that someone breaking up with them via text was doing so to avoid a difficult and necessary conversation.

• breaking up over text is honestly the worst!!! you owe it to him to do it face to face. it really helps the healing process too and allows them to know how you feel... through text it's just emotionless and stupid.

• Most people can deal with rejection perfectly fine, but confirmation that you wasted your time with a coward just boils people's blood.

• It implies you mean that little to them they won't do you the dignity of telling you face to face.

That or they are cowards and know they can't go through with it with you looking them in the eye.

• cowards are offensive

• You should do a poll.

• it's cowardice. same with asking them out via text, it's just cowardice

What Girls Said 8

• If I love someone I want them to do it face to face. Hiding behind a phone and breaking up is so easy and its as if the person meant nothing to you. Its reassurance that the person is also hurting cause that means they really cared about you. When I broke up w/my 1st love, that was painful, but I gave him the benefit of breaking up face to face.

• I'd prefer face to face and I'd also break up with someone face to face. It's more personal and more respectful towards the other person. When people do it over text it just makes them seem like a coward and that they don't care.

• Well they should have the courage to do it in person. It has more closure and more emotion to it than just over the phone.

• I would prefer a text message - its easier than having somebody give you a memory you can't forget

• it shows that you don't have the decency to say it face to face. thats like being a coward to me

• I think it's disrespectful

• I would rather them do it in person... maaaybe over the phone, but it depends. Breaking up over text just shows how cowardly you are and incapable to face the person and tell them the truth. Texting also lacks emotion and can leave a person without closure, as there are no real facial expressions (no, emojis doen't count) or vocal inflection over text.

• It would be a waste of my time meeting up with a guy just for him to breakup with me. I'd rather he just ring me than tell me face to face. I'd have nothing to say anyway. So it would be pointless arranging to meet up