Have you ever broken someones heart?

Was it the right thing to do?

Have you ever broken someones heart?

How did you feel after?

5134

Most Helpful Girl

• Not that I know of. I haven't really connected with someone on that level to have the ability to do something like that. Have I made people sad in the sense that I did not return their feelings? Yes, I have. Did I do it on purpose? By no means have I intentionally hurt others. But I cannot force myself to love someone, I cannot live a lie.

Most Helpful Guy

• Usually it is right thing otherwise it wouldn't have happened. However I do wish with one girl I didn't let her go HOWEVER its been almost 2 years I didn't talk to her, she was pissed lol, but now we sort of start talking a a little

--> redemption is sweet I tell ya

What Girls Said 50

• Yes I did break a few hearts, but NEVER intentionally, it's just, those people got whipped, they where friends, and I just didn't see them like that, I hate hurting people :( but I can't force myself to love somebody when i simply can't!!
    I apologized to them deeply, and I really checked on them often and organized dinners to have deep conversations about this, and to show my respect for their feelings. Usually it worked, other times it made things worse, but some came out to be very close friends afterwards :)

• On more than one occasion, I have broken someone's heart. The guilt afterwards has been completely massive that I do my best to repair the damage I have caused, and sometimes it can go both ways: good or bad. In certain situations, I have come to the realization as to why or why not it was the right thing to do. I think complete honesty is the right thing to do, it's a hard pill to swallow at times, and can be painful, yet at least the other person understands where your position is.

• that's really nice of you to help repair the damage and try to be as clear as possible. More people should do that

• No, I haven't because I've never been in a relationship, dates or friendship. Nothing at all. I love loneliness. It is nice.

• Twice.
    A former friend of mine was crushing on me, hard. I liked her, but only as a friend. After a while she couldn't deal with being so close to me, but not close enough & said she needed a break. That's what eventually killed our friendship.
    Another time was with my ex. We were facing some troubles in our relationship & he told me what he didn't like about 'us' anymore. That got me thinking (because I was content) & I realised that this had no future. When he was unhappy while I was, things just can't work out, so I broke up with him a few days later.
    He hated himself for a while, thinking that he made me breakup with him, that he should've kept his face shut & stuff. Since when we broke up, we said maybe we'll get together in a few weeks again when we've thought about everything & stuff. Six weeks later, he asked me if I wanted to give it another try, I asked him what he thought, he replied he'd wanna try it again & from what he knew about me, I wanted to, too.
    Well, he was wrong about that, which is exactly what I told him.
    So I guess this one counts as two small heartbreaks? Dunno.

& I don't know if I broke someone's heart by rejecting them beforehand, & I honestly don't care, either. When someone I don't know just walks up to me & tries to chat me up, they get a flat out no.

• Yup, I think maybe 2+ times. But I was still in Jr High and High school. A lot of things seemed right at the time they were being done. N I feel like shiet after and still sometimes wonder if it affected them a lot. I sure hope they carried on fine after that.

• Yeah my ex... My parents forced me to break up with him and I was super sad. So was he. After a while though, I realized that I'd never gotten to know him super well and committed into a relationship way too fast. I was too young... It wouldn't have worked. We didn't have common topics really, we were way too different, and we were both way too shy to talk with each other and we've never hung out alone. He had many qualities that I disliked (and only found out about later in the relationship). He's asked me if I like him. I said just as a friend. I have a feeling he still likes me, but I have let go. It wouldn't have worked out even if my parents didn't force me

• Um dose beating the shit out of a boy with a light saber when you and he were 7 when he tried to kiss me count or does shoving a guy who was wrapped around my hip screaming don't go don't go crying in the middle of a class room and he grabbed my leg when I got him off I lost a shoe and took off running full speed count if not no

• Thanks for the like

• @soulbabe The guy yelling don't go and crying, I wanna know the backstory.

• @HookedOnSalt nothing to talk about I started going to that school he pissed me off and I wouldn't take his load mouth shit I told him off and after that he started fallowing every ware like some creepy love struck stalker puppy

• Yeah a few times.

It was always the right thing to do, because living a lie is not a solution. I broke off a toxic relationship once and I should have done it a year earlier. I felt liberated after that.
    I "friendzoned" a few people too, because you just can't force feelings.

Only thing I could have improved was the ways I did it.
    Right afterwards it feels awful, but I never regretted it.

• Agree, forced feelings aren't true feelings -- then it's better to break it off or be honest/truthful. Thanks for your input. :)

• Apparently I have but I didn't know until way after the fact. I just felt confused because I didn't really understand how I broke their heart.

• you can only break your own heart. you dont make people fall in love or hurt themselves. they control that. i have hurt myself, yes.

• I've also rejected people who were or thought they were in love with me bc i did not feel it in return... i did not break their heart, and I don't know if they felt heart broken over it.

• i dont feel bad. there was no reason for us to be together if we both did not feel it.

• How dare you go all deep lol I was literally about to sum this up! Very on point opinion.

• Yes and yes. he wasn't giving me the same respect and loyalty I gave to him. But lesson learnt! Never give more than what you receive :-)

• Yeah, I broke up with my ex boyfriend who was the "perfect" guy and treated me like a princess, but sadly I couldn't have the same feelings for him :(
    It was very hard for me to end the relationship but I can't be with someone I don't love, you know?

• No. But from these comments apparently doing this makes you badass. Almost feel jelly lol

• Maybe I have. Like, its those times when you don't want to hurt the person but you have no other choice coz you just don't feel the same way about them. But, I don't think they were in love so that makes it easier for them

• Accidentally yes. And god damn it was the best thing for everyone.

• I have broken quite a few people's hearts due to unrequited love. I felt bad but it was never my intention to hurt anyone. It was the right thing to do for me and them, they just didn't realize it at the time.

• Yeah I have unfortunately but you can't force love or connection, these things either just happen naturally or don't.

• Yes.
    Yes.
    Horrible.

• No, I haven't because I've never been in a relationship.

• Sadly yes...
    I love to make people feel good but If I don't share their feelings I can't pretend I do.

• No. Have you?

• Depends how we define the breaking of a heart -- I've rejected people, so in a smal world, I may have.

• Yes. Twice. It was the right thing to do. How did i feel after? Crappy because i ended two great friendships 💔💔

• unfortunately yes. it was very sad.

• I don't know.

• sadly yes. And yes it was the right thing to do

• Yeah. It was. Nothing lasts forever.

• I don't think I do. I rejected some guys but i don't think any of them were in love with me.

• Sadly yes but as much as he cared about me I had to put myself first he wasn't very compassionate and never listened to anything to do with my past I still felt terrible for hurting him though

• I mean I hope not

• I did once, but it was for the best.

• More from Girls
    20

What Guys Said 33

• I'm proud to say I haven't. I've never broken up with any girl I dated.

• When I was a teenager and young adult that my relationship with others was just friendship. When I went out, it was not a date as the world see it. Non-sexual activities. Our activities were base on same interest. In college, I met my wife and we are happy to marry to each other. I marriage is base on God word. Jesus is our master store. We never get divorced. There no self-worship in our marriage. Our marriage is a two-way street. I know that many marry women think it a one-way street. Their self. That why women have so many issues with marriage.

• When I was in 8th grade, I had my first "serious" girlfriend. That poor girl trusted me to be her first attempt at a relationship and I broke her heart by cheating on her with one of her best friends not even 2 months later. Was it the right thing to do? Of course not! How did I feel after? Like a disgusting animal.

• I've rejected girls who asked me out romantically before, so yeah. I don't feel bad about it, rejection is part of life. It would be wrong to pretend that I liked her back for the sake of immature young girls not giving me drama for rejecting that girl. 😛

• I think i have, luckily not be much.
    Its better to break someones heart quickly then to give them false hopes and make the eventual pain grow.

• I don't think I have.

• Nope but I have rejected a lot of people.

• Probably not. Too busy getting mine broken by other people. Although one girl who I was seeing dropped the "lets just be friends" thing on me and I said No. Could see that she was hurting when I was ignoring her. I didn't want to but couldn't face just being friends with someone who I had strong feelings for.

• I'm sure I have at some point, if I have I honestly don't remember.

• Yes, but only on purpose and for fun.

• Oh, certainly. It was their happiness or mine; I naturally chose myself, since they happened to be a Negative Nancy most of the time, anyway.

• I have had my heart broken and according to a few friends the person i did a friends with benefits with at uni had feelings for me so i prob broke her heart when i decided not to try for anything more

• My pillow doesn't have a heart.

• I never have because I've never been in a relationship

• Yes. No regrets.

• Yes I have. I felt bad but oh well. I'm sure they got over it

• Never

• no girls break my heart 😢 im a virgin 😨 and im ugly 😱 . no one wants to sleep with me 😰

• Sadly yes. That's life. Mine has been broken too.

• Yes I have, what's the point in lying and leading them on? I was honest. I attract this type of girls that I'm just not interested in.

• I am here to heal you, not break you. Save you, not hurt you.

• I don't think so. If I have, I don't know.

• I have. Sometime's it hurt and sometimes it didn't.

• Once, I still feel kinda bad when i think about it

• Yaas, it was the right thing to do and I felt bad.

• Dozens of times...

• rejecting a person does not break their heart.

• like what?

• I've ghosted girls who were in love me, cheated and gotten caught, broken up with girls for absolutely no reason, told girls I never loved them, etc... one time a girl said she wanted to marry me and crushed that dream immediately.

• i think have by accident

• Nope...

• No, I have not.

this is something that women are prone to do. Not guys.

• Never have even had the chance

• More from Guys
    3