My wife left me for my friend?

Lucy and I were going through a difficult time. We had the one child under ten and Lucy's father had recently died. Although things were not great, I expected the relationship to swing round. When Lucy said she wanted to return to work, my friend Ian, the managing director of a marketing agency, offered her a position as his part-time secretary. I went along with it.

I suppose the relationship took off during one of those trips. When my friend confronted me with the truth, I was stunned. 'I met Ian for a drink shortly after one of those trips. He told me he'd been sleeping with my wife and they were going to set up home together. I ran out of the pub and sat in the car crying. It felt like a double betrayal: my best friend sleeping with my wife. I wanted to hit him, but I knew an angry scene would only leave me feeling worse. I wanted to act as a gentleman and not as a hard man.

I didn't return home for three days. Finally, when I had the strength to return, Ian answered the door of my home. I was devastated. While I'd been away, I'd thought a lot about whether I could forgive Lucy, but it was too dreadful when I saw him in my house. I went to stay with friends. In the end, I found it IMPOSSIBLE to forgive Lucy. And in addition to losing my wife and family, her unfaithfulness impacted my feelings of masculinity and self-worth. It took me 2 years before I started dating again. I'm now in a good second marriage. Sadly, Lucy and I still don't speak. Thoughts or comments?

12

What Girls Said 1

• And your child?

Sometimes things don't work out and it's for the best now your with your new wife

What Guys Said 2

• Sucks man. Glad you got out of the funk though. Don't blame you for not wanting to talk to her. I know I wouldn't unless it was strictly about our kid.

• Man, that sucks. My condolences. I hope things work out for you.