Is acne a deal breaker in a relationship?

This may seem like a silly question, but is something that I wonder about. I've had moderate acne since I was 15, and i had two boyfriends in high school which I learned later broke up with me because my acne was "gross". My skin is much better now, but I still have some scars. I'm just wondering if older guys (not 16 year old assholes) would break up with a girl solely because of her acne.

721

Most Helpful Guy

• If I were to reject/break up with a girl because she didn't have perfect skin, I'd be quite the hypocrite. I break out every now and then, since I have oily skin (thanks, Italian genes!). And my breakouts are the nasty cystic kind that takes weeks to fully go away. I have it mostly under control now, but sometimes I break out, especially when I'm under prolonged stress.

If her acne were totally out-of-control, it would be a completely different story. But if she has slight, or even moderate acne, it really wouldn't be the end of the world at all.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ugh I used to have it badly too! It sucks and it can be painful. Luckily, I found a great cleaner. No I don't think it's a deal breaker, and if it is then he wasn't worth your time to begin with.'

What Guys Said 20

• I wouldn't break up with a girl over acne, i use to like some girl who had very bad acne and it wasn't a deal breaker and i mean this with all my heart.

• I wouldn't break up with a girl because of her acne. Why not? Because I wouldn't be in a relationship with her in the first place, ew. At best she is friend material since my standards are higher than that. I'd probably lose my lunch if I happen to give her a peck on the cheek and one of her pimples popped in my mouth.

• I wouldn't break up with her so much as try to make meals for her that would help reduce the acne. As well help her break the common habbit of touching ones face a lot throughout the day.

• I truly feel that this should be a no and is a no. As you have stated, people get smarter and well rounded as we age (at least hopefully) as well as no one has a perfect body. Also the acne will get better with care as well as time cause teen years are typically the worst for these type issues. head up and hope it helps.

• I wouldn't simply because it would be hypocritical. I'm 36 and still get pimples. Not as bad as when I was a teen but it's still there.

• Yes in that age from when you're a teenager it is. Even afterwards if you have a lot and you're an adult let's say 20+ you should of by now either gotten afterwards prescription from a doctor and gotten most of it cleaned. I understand hormones and shit a few may pop up but thats not what I'm talking about.

• no.. not at all..

• No it isn't

• no one should ever break up with someone because of appearance. a relationship should be about what's on the inside. and about themselves as a person. not by appearance. so basically no, acne is not a deal breaker ever.

• Nope. Acne happens and you need to know you're more than that. Confidence is sexy.

• I didn't mean that I was still insecure about it, sorry for the confusion. I just know that a lot of other girls are struggling with it and that many of them can't control whether they have acne or not. I'm pretty confident with myself now.

• I wouldn't. I have some acne and my cheeks and nose are quite red, and my cheeks can be very dry sometimes.

• Not unless their standards are ridiculously high

• No not for me

• No, it isn't for me😊

• Anyone who wouldn't date someone because of acne is extremely shallow.

• It's called having high standards. People have different deal breakers.

• @IEat70sBush Yeah but acne? You're kinda splititn' hairs at that point. Especially since acne is something that can easily be rectified.

• Not at all

• I don't think it is

• I don't think it's a deal breaker at all. personally for me I prefer girls who have some imperfections on their face to add character.

• Well they would more likely not get with her in the first place. Than break up with her because of scars.
    I have a few female freinds who have trouble with acne and they still get dates. While they might look better and get more if they dealt with it better they don't seem to care because they are looking for personality in the guy not looks.
    One cuts the guy loose if he even mentions how pretty he thinks she is.

Your good. I have many freinds whose wives have scars like that and they still love those women to pieces.

• Personally, I wouldn't care. If you look nice/cute, that's enough to see where would go

What Girls Said 6

• It shows their immaturity if they broke up with you for that reason. Acne is beyond a persons control , so it wouldn't be a deal- breaker for me.

• Your problem isn't how old these guys are. It's that they're shitty human beings. I bet their acne was just as bad if not worse than yours.

If you wouldn't break up with a guy because of his acne you have the right to expect the same from him.

• Not at all.
    Cleanliness could be however Cleanliness and acne are not the same subject in my opinion. I've fallen head over heels for a man with acne and a man with perfect skin... neither one was an issue.
    If it's love there are no conditions.

• I doubt it now a days, all you gotta do is the one who doesn't seem like the men you dated in high school. My boyfriend has acne on his back and I help him with treatments and stuff. And every time I get one he like here let me get so it's weird but I let him.

• TBH, yes. If it was very severe. Scars are fine.

• Geeze, what awful guys.