Who gets over a breakup sooner?

Who moves on from a breakup faster? Men or women? (assuming a serious relationship)
And why?
I read somewhere that women are hurt more right after a break up, but men feel the breakup later and for a longer time

• Men
    50%(14)46%(26)Vote41%(12)
  • Women
    50%(14)54%(31)Vote59%(17)

Sponsored

What Guys Said 19

• I see all these posts about EXes... Why does my ex not like me? This and that about an ex... should we get back together...

An EX means.. in the past. In my life, after any break up, an EX is out of my mind. I move on almost immediately and never think of, try to contact, check up on, etc...

Breakups happen for a reason...

I'm not talking about someone who moved away... I'm talking about relationships that ended due to cheating, abuse, incompatibility and such...

Who CARES about an EX? Who cares about what an EX thinks of them?

Then "breaks"... what's that all about? all this is is an admission you can't commit in a relationship. Taking a vacation from a relationship isn't going to fly.

ALSO... getting back together after a breakup.. or chasing someone to get back together... sorry folks, the same issues are gonna be there.

This "closure" What's that about? No such thing... So what? It's over.. there is your closure.

Move on... where you found one guy/gal, there will always be more.

• I can't really say ^^ I've only been in love once in my life so far and we broke up because of circumstances petty much and stuff she had to work through. We still liked each other and I still loved her and missed her.

We didn't talk for a bit more than a month and sometimes it really sucked and sometimes I didn't think about it for quite a while. Now we're talking again and we're sort of like close friends. I'm happy that I can talk to her again because she really understands me and she's a ver kind and sweet person. I still like her but atm I don't think we could really be together so just talking is already a good thing.

I know that she cared about me a lot and that was one of the many reasons I liked her so much because I had liked a girl (thankfully not loved) once who didn't care about me and I had to end that so the difference was huge.
    But I don't know how much she missed me or who it sucked for more. It's not really a competition.

If you have something great and it has to end not even because you ddn't like each other anymore or because you didn't put in enough effort or any of that but because of preexisting conditions then it sucks. That amazing feeling and happiness to have someone who truly and deeply cares for you and is always there and only wishes you the best, and then losing that is painful. I think if that happens every person just has to deal with it themselves, I had someone who helped me and talked to me and said it wasn't a good idea to write her when I really wanted to but to have some space and time. Everyone should take their time. Of course you shouldn't sink into a depression or let your pain last forever but it's also not a race just deal with it your own way and then try and focus on your life and make the best of it.

I think I could live with out her I was fine for a bit I got through the worst part but I don't really want to cmpletely end it. She had a positive influence on my life, she's a really nice person and even just talking to her can make me feel better. I'm not experienced in this situation so I don't know what's gonna happen but we'll just be friends for now.
    Maybe I'll move on and be with someone else or maybe things will change and we can really be together. The main thing is that you still focus on your life and your goals and are not only doing relationships.

I will keep working on myself and try and live life to the fullest and whatever happens I'll find a way to deal with it.

• I think it depends on who initiated the breakup. Usually the person who does has already accepted that the relationship isn't going the way that they want, so they've already started moving on when they make the decision to end it.

• If all men were alike and all women were alike, I could answer your question.

• in general, men are more likely to get over a breakup quicker, but this is only because society has taught us to suppress our emotions. But the lasting effects are still there. For instance, if we really trusted the woman we were with, and that woman cheats on us, that will still make us much more cautious about our future relationships, even though we were able to suppress our sadness

• Depends on the person and situation

• Depends on the individual , but women tend to have the advantages of ultra close inter female friendships ( men do not have these with each other ) , well developed support networks of both genders...& plenty of " replacement " male options , if she so chooses.

• it is not hard n fast rule not on gender.. depends upon everyones nature... the people who get over with it r cheaters n fake people..

• that's not a question of gender. everybody deals different with a breakup.

• I think men do

• It depends

• whomever has a better support group. friends, family, work and so on.

• Usually the dumper. And women are usually the ones doing the dumping so... lol

• whoever declared the breakup

• women are the reason for break up Everytime

• I'm definitely one of those guys who feels delayed reactions to break ups. With both my last exes I was initially relieved. But the reality would usually come crashing down about a month later.

• Cmon girl, you know it all depends on the person

• Men say men
    Women say women

• I think women do, they find another guy and move on but guys take awhile to get over it. I think it also depends who broke it off too

What Girls Said 9

• I think it's different for everyone, because one person might have been more invested in the relationship, one person might have a better support system (friends, family, etc.), one person might have healthier coping mechanisms, and so on.
    What you heard was exactly true for my experience though. I moved through the stages of acceptance and moving on much faster than he did, taking about 4-5 months to get over the relationship. He only started the whole mourning process at around 4 months because all he'd been doing previously was distracting himself with girls, weed, and work. It took him much longer to realize what he lost, but he ended up feeling the breakup much harder than I did.

• I would say women, but...
    pad3.whstatic.com/.../...r-a-Break-Up-Step-13.jpeg

pad3.whstatic.com/.../...r-a-Break-Up-Step-16.jpeg

But then again, gender doesn't really play a role. I am not sure.

• It depends on the individual. An emotional person will have longer than a rather cold person and the other way 'round. The person who wanted to continue the relationship will most likely also be sadder than the one who wanted to break up.
    While I don't have much experience in that area I daresay that the situation described in your question is because women usually cry out their sadness with their friends while men need to be "tough" and thus hold it in. Most of the people with heartbreak I usually see at work are men who just want to talk about it.

• This is exactly what I heard too. And it makes total sense.. Women have a network of supportive friends that they can talk to and will make them feel better by saying stuff like yo you're beautiful. He doesn't deserve u and so on while men do not have that and have to hold in their feelings in order not appear "LIKE A MAN". Thanks for your reply love

• In my cases i've always been the one hurt.. and they've just carried on as normal not seeming to be affected at all.. but i don't know because i can't compare how my relationships have gone to how everyones has.

• Whoever checked out emotionally first. (which isn't related to gender)

• It depends on the situation. I can be hard on either one. Both the the girl and the boy is effected. One will play if off as if to say i am glad we broke it up but, if you have been i a serious relationship and then broke up, both is taking it hard. Even the person that called it quits.

• Women. We cry, eat ice cream, exercise and get revenge bodies for a real man to appreciate.

• Depends on who called it quits. Obviously, whoever is on the other end will feel the pain more than the person who inflicted it. But it also depends on the persons emotional state too. For girls, I'd say the first couple/few months are when we grieve it out then we get over it, and men have a later reactions. But again, this depends.

• Depends on the person really...